PDA

View Full Version : Still hungry

Todd Frost
03-24-2010, 11:39 PM
This guy had just finished successfully mousing and was looking for more. A little different coloring on this coyote (darker), found him near Norris during the snowcoach trip.
D300, 400 2.8 w/1.4tc, 1/1000, f4, iso400, man exp, HH
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Martin Wallis
03-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Perfect exposure, the grasses were distracting me until I figured out what they were. I love your coyote images Todd.
Cheers

Todd Frost
03-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks Martin, there was not much texture to the snow (very smooth wind blown area) so I felt the grass helped to break it up.
Todd

Harshad Barve
03-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Todd , Looks like you had blast of time , Soooooper image , Liked this very much as posted
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
03-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Todd,
I like the pose and composition. It gives an idea about the environment. The stalks don't bother me. Infact, they look like some painter rubbing off the paint in a few places. ;)

Nice to see that you are able to handhold that lens. I am ok with handholding my canon version without converters. However, when a 2x is attached, it becomes very tough to handhold, and details are lost if shutter speed is not high.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
03-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Hi Todd

When I first saw this I thought it was falling snow rather than anything else, DOH!:eek:

I feel that this image would benefit with having some form of keyline/border to retain it, and perhaps a slightly narrower crop might also work? like the colour & look.

Sabyasachi I take my hat off to you in contemplating HH with a 2x, as I too find it very susceptible to any form of camera shake etc, especially when you start at f/8. For me it has to be on a tripod, guess age is setting in LOL.;)

Steve

Ken Watkins
03-25-2010, 06:16 AM
A beautiful shot, I agree with Steve on the absence of a definable border, but this can be easily fixed by a frame when it is put where it should be on a wall!

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Todd,

I reposted with the following adjustments. I do like the coyote's position and head turn. I felt a pano would better accentuate him as well.

1) Levels adjustment setting a white point in the snow and black point at the mouth. Pull mid-tones slider to lighten image.
2) Curves adjustment mild s-curve to increase contrast in coyote.
3) Selective color adjustment and removed black from white (whiter snow) and added black to black (darker blacks in coyote).

Todd Frost
03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Robert, thanks for the repost, it looks good as well. I actually have processed this image quite similar to what you came up with, but I guess being and old K64 kind of guy I always end up liking a slightly darker image than most. I battle with my wife when converting images for her all the time:D.
Thanks again
Todd

DanWalters
03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Like how the repost brings out more details in the coyote. Like the snow on the nose and the surrounding snow.

Alfred Forns
03-25-2010, 07:39 PM
You got the dogs Todd !!! Glad you had such a productive trip !! Worked had and got your images !!

Todd Frost
03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks Al, had good luck with the pups for sure. Only one I hoped for and did not see was fox, gives me a good reason to go back:D (as if I need one).
Todd

Stephen Earle
03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I like the repost for light and colour but prefer the original comp. Stunning photograph.