PDA

View Full Version : The Cell Phone & The Snake

Mike Godwin
03-24-2010, 11:19 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4436340138_4d1e5dba67_o.jpg
Nikon D300 with Nikkor 70-200 lens 1/250 f9 ISO 250 EV -0.3 crop for composition

Not exactly a macro, but it is a closeup! This young cottonmouth was taken at Gatorland during a little safari through the Swamp Walk with some fellow BPN'rs. It's not captive, and while coaxing him into a better position for some of the guys, my cell phone fell out of my shirt pocket and into the swamp next to this guy. After several minutes of searching with my arm in swamp water and vegetation up to my shoulder, I finally found it, and was able to get the shot you see here. I am basically laying down on the boardwalk to get a low profile look at this colorful, but venemous little fellow.

Ken Childs
03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
They sure are cute! ;)

If this were mine, I'd use SH to bring try and bring out more detail on the head and lighten/sharpen that beautiful eye. IMO, the eye is their most striking feature.

denise ippolito
03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Mike, I knew Gatorland was filled with lots of things to photograph-but I would have never guessed a Cottonmouth. Nice sharp details, might blur the top part of the BG a touch. Can't wait to get back there soon!:)