PDA

View Full Version : Ravens on the rock

Andrew Merwin
03-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I shot this image just before sunset. Its about a 70% crop. I think I am trying to get an successful image where none exists. WDYT.

I think ravens are very hard to shoot successfully. In addition to being very wary & consequently hard to approach, their color makes it doubly difficult to get a good image. If I expose for the rock, the raven are under exposed & if I expose for the ravens, the rock is over exposed. Suggestions?

Andrew

Mark III, ISO 400, 700mm, −0.67 ev, f/7.1, 1/650, beanbag

Fabs Forns
03-24-2010, 07:34 PM
I think if you had the right sun angle (sun behind you) the problem would be minimized. Yo should always try and expose for your subject. The rock can be darkened in post precessing.
I like Ravens very much. They should look very good on green trees with fontral light.

Dave Leroy
03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Nice idea for the shot.
I am not sure if you want all of the rock in the shot of not, but another option would be to remove a big chunk with a crop off bottom.

I have found that if I can get into position where the birds are or where they go and then wait, they will often come quite close.

Good Luck. Crows are fun as well.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
I really like the idea but the light really was not on your side. If these birds are residents, I would try this again in softer light. I might also sharpen the birds a bit more.

Andrew Merwin
03-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Andrew