PDA

View Full Version : Toad under water

thijs broekkamp
03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm making a serie about amphibians. I think that the underwater life of these creatures is important to show. This is the first time I photograph toads underwater and use my uw camera. It's hard to get good shots and sharp in this murky waters. I love to hear critiques and what could be better, because i'm going to visit that spot alot so i can try alot.
Canon g11 with canon wp-dc 34. Flash used. f2.8, iso 400, 1/160e. Lowered temperature, did some levels. Sharpend up only the toad, did noise reduction on the surrounding.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/IMG195bwrkt2srgb.jpg

Alfred Forns
03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I think the key to these type is having the widest angle possible Not sure if a wide angle adapter is available for the G11?

With an extreme wide angle you will have more dof even at 5.6, cut down the distance to the subject minimizing the backscatter and will be able to pre focus setting the camera in manual !! Flash is always tricky to use under the conditions shown since it will reflect all the scattered particles back to the camera ... like using flash while snowing.

Not sure if you are placing the camera UW or taking the plunge :) If they are shallow and you are not under maybe you could experiment with the light source on top pointing down. Lots of experimentation here and you are breaking fairly new ground !!!

As presented looks very good and I'm amazed at the clarity for the conditions, point of focus is fine, well framed and you came up with a good one !!! Hoping to see lots more and wish you the best of luck !!! One interesting project !!!

Bill Dix
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
What a great idea! It looks like you're off to a good start. I'm eager to see more.

Gail Spitler
03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Bill - amazing image. I can't offer any suggestions, but I do agree it is an important project.
Cheers
Gail

Lance Peters
03-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Cool - going to have to have a underwater forum ;)
Lots to like here and experimentation is the way to go.
A invalometer may be of help - think there is a external one available on the net.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I love the look on the toad's face!! Also the texture of his skin...
Can't comment on the techs but sounds like a great project.
Best,
Nicki

Oscar Zangroniz
03-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Great capture for such murky waters.
Congrats

thijs broekkamp
03-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the nice comments! Yesterday i took alot of underwater pictures, will post them soon!