PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Black-backed Gull

Ivan Sjögren
03-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi, I like this image mostly because of the pose and the back pattern. I don't think the sharpnes and the details are perfect, and some of the whites on the neck are a little to hot.
Does it work anyway?

Canon 400D
70-300 1:4 5.6 IS USM (zoom at 300mm)
ISO 400
1/800s
f/5.0

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6707/strmmensill.jpg

Phil Ertel
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi Ivan, I like it. I too like the way the bird's feathers serve as a background for the head. I find the head tilt to be interesting and adds some personality to the bird. I agree that a few of the whites are bit hot. It might be worth trying to reconvert the raw file as I suspect that you might be able to recover some whites. In photoshop you could try adding a linear burn layer and mask out the non-white areas. Thanks for sharing.

Rodney Flowers
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Ivan, I like how the feathers work as a background for the portrait. It is an idea I'll have to try when the opportunity presents itself. I think it would be good if there were a little more space at the top above the head. With IS turned on you should have been able to use a little slower shutter speed and increase the aperture. Increasing the aperture would have helped increase the apparent sharpness of the photo.

Dave Leroy
03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
It is an interesting composition and a little different. I like it.

From my recollection if you decrease the focal length of this lens down to 275 or 250 you might find that the shots are sharper with more detail.

Ivan Sjögren
03-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your critique.

Daniel Cadieux
03-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I really like the concept of the image - well seen! I agree with a bit more room at top (I find the top of the head a bit too close to the edge), and I also agree that some of the whites could be toned down. I'm OK with the DOF here. I detect some colour noise throughout the brown feathers...some colour-NR would be a good thing to apply.