PDA

View Full Version : The waverunner

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-24-2010, 09:18 AM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10840454-lg.jpg

40D. 400 f5.6 at f/6.3. iso400. 1/2000s.

I have been trying to catch Coot running on water for a while. Got a few keepers last evening...but unfortunately with food in mouth. good weather day so lot of people feeding the birds. I liked this one the best because of the wave, both feet in water and the trail of droplets. Its still far from what I actually want :-) But this is really stretching my 40D on all fronts.

Have processed this in a hurry. So looking for more suggestions.

Ofer Levy
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Lovely shot! The food does weakens it a bit IMO but still a great shot. Maybe some more room at the bottom and to the right.

Trivedi Vatsal
03-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh my! Great! Looks like this one is a winner in marathon & running with it's trophy!! :) Fantastic timing & great freeze! Wish I'll capture something like this in future!

arash_hazeghi
03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Great running pose Kaustubh, very beautiful and love the details. TFS good job with focus!

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Great running pose Kaustubh, very beautiful and love the details. TFS good job with focus!

Arash, keeping the center sensor on coot's head is quite hard in this fast action. And even if I was able to do that, I dont think thats a good idea. Legs behind or wings above do get clipped if the action is close by. So I just try to keep it somewhere on the coot's body and rely of DOF to cover the head. Even in this series, I have got a few ones with clipped wings. I should probably try and track with the bottom sensor...but not sure how good a job it will do. I'll try though. It becomes much easier when the action is further away but then subject becomes small and at f/5.6 with that angle, not a good BG blurr. For lower angle, I dont have a panning ground pod. And its hard to do with elbows on the ground.

If anyone has done this successfully with 40D/50D AF, I'd love to learn the technique. thx in advance.

Laura Pipkin
03-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Very nice action. Good exposure and details. Love the eye contact!

Dave Barnes
03-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Very good feather detail on the black bird. I like the pose with both feet in the air.
I find the water/wave line following the feet very captivating.
good angle of capture.