PDA

View Full Version : Austalian Magpie

Mark Young
03-24-2010, 07:04 AM
I took this yesterday afternoon on the way back from another Shorebirds session at the local reef.

It's a common enough bird here, but not one I've had much fortune with photographing.

I was hoping to get some ideas on composition. I'm not really excited about this shot, but I'm not sure why either! :o

Canon 400, 300mm L + 1.4tc, ISO 200 F5.6, 1/1000, Tripod. Av mode, Evaluative metering.
PP: Cropped approx 20%, SH, USM.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/MTY400/Birds/Birds%20of%20Australia/Uploaded%20Images/AustralianMagpieIMG_0759.jpg

Alfred Forns
03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Mark

Composition looks fine, I think there is something about not making a square crop that draws negative attention. I like cropping to the best for the image and this seem to be the best !!!

I like the low angle and pose, just needed softer light since its one tough bird !! You did control the exposure well. About all I would have suggested is going to ISO 400 for an extra shutter speed. Noise (quality) wise don't think you will see a difference and I'm finding the extra speed making sharper images. For flight trying to get to 1/2500 any time possible !!! I like it a lot !!!

Dave Mills
03-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Mark, Nice low angle of an interesting subject. Agree with Al's points but felt the bird was a bit close to the edges of the frame. I extended the left and right sides. There seemed to be a slight color caste which I removed and added some S/H to the white on the wing and neck to bring out a bit more detail.(also on the body which in hindsight would tone down just a little) I also dodged the eye to lighten it. I also took out the faint weed in the back...

Lance Peters
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Mark - lots to like here, as already mentioned (Good HA and eye contact) - the contrasting colours blue of the sky and green of the grass is appealing.
Daves repost does improve - was too tight RHS - Tough in anything but soft light.
IMHO ONLY - common subjects really have to look for a situation that makes the oridinary into the extra-ordinary - be it a stunning BG or pose.
Keep em coming :)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Hello Mark,
The low angle really appeals to me here. I do like the repost as I feel that the original is a bit tight. The eye is better in the repost as well.
Best,
Nicki

Mark Young
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Mark

Composition looks fine, I think there is something about not making a square crop that draws negative attention. I like cropping to the best for the image and this seem to be the best !!!

I like the low angle and pose, just needed softer light since its one tough bird !! You did control the exposure well. About all I would have suggested is going to ISO 400 for an extra shutter speed. Noise (quality) wise don't think you will see a difference and I'm finding the extra speed making sharper images. For flight trying to get to 1/2500 any time possible !!! I like it a lot !!!

Thanks Alfred. I very rarely every use a square crop, which in hyndsight probably what was concerning me. I usually like to have some space in front of the bird. I'll give ISO400 next a try session and see if that improves.

Hi Mark, Nice low angle of an interesting subject. Agree with Al's points but felt the bird was a bit close to the edges of the frame. I extended the left and right sides. There seemed to be a slight color caste which I removed and added some S/H to the white on the wing and neck to bring out a bit more detail.(also on the body which in hindsight would tone down just a little) I also dodged the eye to lighten it. I also took out the faint weed in the back...

I like your repost Dave, the lighter image and extra space look really nice. The SH work on the white feathers has made a big difference.
What was the colour caste? I can't seem to see it in the OP.

Hi Mark - lots to like here, as already mentioned (Good HA and eye contact) - the contrasting colours blue of the sky and green of the grass is appealing.
Daves repost does improve - was too tight RHS - Tough in anything but soft light.
IMHO ONLY - common subjects really have to look for a situation that makes the oridinary into the extra-ordinary - be it a stunning BG or pose.
Keep em coming :)

Thanks Lance, I agree about common birds, which is why I don't spend very much time with Fairy-wrens! ;)

Hello Mark,
The low angle really appeals to me here. I do like the repost as I feel that the original is a bit tight. The eye is better in the repost as well.
Best,
Nicki

Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Dave Mills
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Mark, It looked a bit yellowish to me but nothing major...

Mark Young
03-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Dave.

Lance Peters
03-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks Lance, I agree about common birds, which is why I don't spend very much time with Fairy-wrens! ;)

Ill swap you some magpies (I have plenty) for some fairy wrens (dont have none).

Ákos Lumnitzer
03-25-2010, 05:47 AM
While this may be common for an Aussie, it sure is not for the Americans or the rest of the world. :D I'd rather see more common Aussie birds than the same old kites and eagles from the northern hemisphere. :) In the middle of carolling and less square crop would have been still better though Mark. Nice split between fore and backgrounds.

Magpies are better than wrens in my book anyway. Smarter, more inquisitive and their calls leave the wrens' for dead. ;)