PDA

View Full Version : Come into my parlour...

Kora Baker
03-24-2010, 02:59 AM
Found this Huntsman spider scurrying across my bedroom ceiling yesterday. It's a high ceiling and I couldn't manage a very clear shot with my 70-300mm even though this spider was approx 4" across. With its legs going everywhere it looked as though it had more than the regulation 4 sets. So in processing I added a few more to recreate the vision I had. PP was a bit of fracting, and then weaving in with a layer of a spiderweb I'd taken a while ago. Finished off with a light Nik bi color filter to give it a bit of pop. Unfortunately, it's not as sharp as I'd like but I did my best to crisp it up a bit. Not sure where the eyes are in this face that only a mother could love. He had disappeared by this morning so I couldn't try another shot at it!

denise ippolito
03-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Kora, I love the composition and the processing work. I do wish for a bit more sharpness as you stated. I like how you captured the webbing.

Alfred Forns
03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Kora Great macro find and you didn't have to go far !!!!!! Stock image is strong and the effects enhance it further, like it a lot !!! ... if this visitor returns try using the smallest aperture for dof, the web would look awesome !!! Excellent image !!!

Mark Fuge
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Nice image and application, Kora.

The sharpness does suffer a little. One option, since this is OOTB would be to add a frosted glass filter over it. Take it easy, but a light effect that is just noticable might enhance the image and obscure the sharpness issue. You just have to play with the adjustments until it clicks for you.

When your left with only lemons, sometimes you can solve the problem and minimize the issues, if you make lemonade! :D

Paul Lagasi
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
If I saw a 4" spider on my ceiling..don't think the first thing I'd grab is my camera...TFS

Kora Baker
03-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Many thanks for looking and for your valuable comments denise, Alfred, Mark and Paul. I experimented with a frosted glass overlay Mark, but couldn't get it to work for me. So I tried the old graphics plus emboss filter. Think it looks a tad better. Would appreciate your comments:)
Paul, I'm used to these pug uglies after living now for over thirty years in the country. Used to be a city gal and when I saw my first one of these on an inside wall I almost fainted! Kora

Jackie Schuknecht
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
No I'm not coming into the parlour. Good job of sharpening which looks like you got right on the eyes Kora.

Kora Baker
03-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Thanks for looking and commenting, Jackie:)

denise ippolito
03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Nice repost w/ the additional sharpening.

Kerry Perkins
03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Whoa! That's way too many legs!! Love the depiction of your vision. The repost really pops!

Kora Baker
03-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Appreciate your comments, Kerry. It really did look to have too many legs:D