PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

D. Robert Franz
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Most photographers include the Lower Falls in their images from this location but I found the river and canyon itself offered many interesting comps..

Canon 10D, EF 70-200mmF2.8 @ 85mm, ISO 100, 1/100 @ F10

David Kennedy
01-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Robert,
You've got some very strong compositional elements coming together in this image,and the sharpness is outstanding. What I would point out is that the lone, tall tree on the left almost disappears 3/4 of the way up its trunk. As a result, it doesn't quite work as an anchor. Moving slightly to ensure that the entire tree remained visible would have strengthened this image immeasurably.
Cheers,
David

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Nice use of an s-curve here as a leading line to guide the viewer through the image which to me is your stronger compositional element in the image. Though I understand David's comment, I don't feel it is a negative.

Great detail and color. It really grabs your eye.

Jason Hahn
01-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I think it is a great composition, with the curve of the river leading your eye, and the tree framing the curve, defining it where the steam obscures it. I really like the high angle above the scene, gives a good sense of the scale of the place, and makes me really want to get back out there :)

Jason

Rich Ikerd
01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Gorgeous image Robert; the snow really helps highlight the wonderful color of the canyon. I have an image similar to this (without the snow unfortunately) and I agree that sometime simplicity in an image (e.g., leaving out the iconic part you might be tempted to include) can yield as equally impressive results.