PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe Brothers

Ed Cordes
03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
This trio of brothers live in the Serengeti. Image made on our recent Tanzania trip.

1D4 with 24-105 @ 65mm. Evaluative metering f 7.1 and 1/1250. Full frame processed in LR and CS4.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Stu Bowie
03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Ed, the central placement works well, and good to see them in the open. One of few animals that are more inquisitive with man, than being skittish.

Harshad Barve
03-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Beautiful image Ed , lovely three HAs
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
03-24-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree that the central placement is better as there is one giraffe looking the other way. You could have used a narrow aperture as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Todd Frost
03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Good getting them in the open, looks like the third brother was pouting and did not want his portrait made;). All in all a nice environmental portrait. TFS
Todd

Ken Watkins
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
A very beautifulimage, I only wish I could stop myself trying to take close ups of giraffe as mostly it does not work as well as this.

Steve Maxson
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice poses by all and good sharpness, Ed. I could see cropping off the bottom (about up to your signature) and maybe a little off the left. In any case, it is a very nice image. On a different note, as a biologist, I am wondering if these are really brothers. I don't know anything about the fecundity or social behavior of giraffes, but I have doubts that they commonly have triplets. I wonder if it would be more appropriate to call these bachelor males or just a male group? Maybe some of our African friends can chime in here. :)

Ed Cordes
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Nice poses by all and good sharpness, Ed. I could see cropping off the bottom (about up to your signature) and maybe a little off the left. In any case, it is a very nice image. On a different note, as a biologist, I am wondering if these are really brothers. I don't know anything about the fecundity or social behavior of giraffes, but I have doubts that they commonly have triplets. I wonder if it would be more appropriate to call these bachelor males or just a male group? Maybe some of our African friends can chime in here. :)

Thanks to all for the comments. I really appreciate them. Steve, they in fact are probably bachelor males. I never thought of that. I notices they were males (in the usual way ;) ) and made an initial assumption they must be brothers.

Thanks for teaching me some of the biology of the species. This is what makes this type of photography fun!

Morkel Erasmus
03-25-2010, 01:36 AM
I think Steve hit it on the head. A herd of bachelor males who have to win the right to mate when the females come around. nice placement - it's a difficult animal to compose for if they are close-ish. the males have more stubby and thick 'horns' than the females (for the times when you can't see the "tools")