PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari Sprinter

Morkel Erasmus
03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
As I was going through some of my images of our Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park trip last year, I tried something different in processing this slightly back-lit image.

Would love to know what you think - honestly...

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400mm L IS USM
f7.1 @ ISO-400

Alfred Forns
03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Morkel Processing looks fine I like the look and backlit images can be compelling. Would take some from the bottom about half of the high grass, will give a better proportion and accentuate forward motion !!! Your doing well with these guys !!!

... btw I do like the darken animal with a hint of detail on the head

Todd Frost
03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Agree with Al on the crop and would like a little more rim light, don't know if that is possible or not here. I too like the hint of detail present in the head. Good to work on different techniques from time to time. Well done. TFS
Todd

Steve Canuel
03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
I'd only lighten the face a little to bring out the white stripes a bit more.

Harshad Barve
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Would love to know what you think - honestly...

Sorry !!! Honestly IMHO , this does not work for me Morkelbhai ,
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
03-23-2010, 11:46 PM
thanks for the feedback gentlemen...here is Al's crop suggestion with Steve's lightened face.

Stu Bowie
03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi Mork, IMHO, I feel the overall image is too dark. Although the light is from the other side, I would have liked the BG to have then been a little lighter. My honest opinion.

Morkel Erasmus
03-24-2010, 01:11 AM
thanks Stu. the original is far lighter. I just went for a different feel here. I like it - so in the end it's all that really matters ;) but I did want to see what other togs think

Steve Canuel
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Morkel,
The repost with the cropped lower portion makes the flying dirt from the hooves stand out more. Makes him look faster :).

Sabyasachi Patra
03-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Morkel,
I have been looking at this image for sometime. This image doesn't work for me. It would have been good if the foreground were like the background. The whites in the grasses in the foreground distract. Somehow I get a feeling of harshness. It might have worked with a wider crop and the animal occupying a small part of the frame, and completely silhouette. Thanks for trying something different.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Morkel Erasmus
03-25-2010, 01:02 AM
thanks for your feedback Sabyasachi & Steve...