PDA

View Full Version : anna's orchid 5

Anita Bower
03-23-2010, 05:51 AM
nikon d300, sigma 105mm macro, .80 sec, f36 (relative), iso 100, aperture priority, manual focus, tripod, indoors in diffused but very bright light. pp in ps7, brought out some details with topaz detail (i'm unclear if that is allowed on this forum).

i'm thinking the diffused bright light flattened the image. might do better in weaker light,and having the flower sideways to main light source. shooting in a friend's house.

Julie Brown
03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Lovely detail and color, Anita. Although you can tell that the flower has depth to it because of the edges and textures, you might be right about the lighting. It does not seem to stand out despite the white BG. Are you wanting more pop?

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Anita,
Looks like the hand isn't slowing you up!!! I've debated this one for a while.....I love the colors, depth, and BG.....but the left hand side just seemed a bit too prominant. Hope you don't mind but i played around with this in PS.....only a rotation and crop.....I rotated it 14 degrees CW (in the field you could have rotated the camera)......filled in the BG color to what you had and then cropped to this vert. It makes it stronger comp wise for me but what do you think?
PS I tried a square crop on the OP....but found I liked this better.

Ken Childs
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Anita, it's a beautiful image and I like it with Roman's crop even more. I tried it with a slight contrast boost (+7 in your version of PS) and it fit my tastes better but how you handle it all depends on what look you were going for.

Julie Kenward
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Another lovely orchid image, Anita...I've got to get back and photograph mine again before the blooms are gone. I like the original post but Roman's repost is really growing on me. I wish the bottom blossom were facing foward. I do like that Roman added a little more room around his. Yours feels a tiny bit tight at the bottom edge. I like the light airy feeling you've achieved here but would also love to see it with a contrast or saturation boost...both would be nice, I'm sure. When you start with a strong image, almost anything goes!

Cheryl Flory
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I also like Roman's crop, since for me I would rather see the blossoms than the stem. Great group of blossoms with none of them showing any signs of wilting or browning edges!

Anita Bower
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
i really appreciate all the help i got on this image. everyone suggested more pop. here it is with +7 contrast as suggested by ken. the rotation and crop suggested be roman is excellent, and i copied it as best i could. (i'm still working with just my left hand.)
i think our collaborative image is much stronger. :)

Anita Bower
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I also like Roman's crop, since for me I would rather see the blossoms than the stem. Great group of blossoms with none of them showing any signs of wilting or browning edges!

i agree completelly. i love photographing my friend anna's orchid's because they are perfect. :)

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey Anita,
I like the added contrast....but I would add a hair back on the LH side.....to not clip the flower branch.......glad you liked the collaboration!!!

Anita Bower
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey Anita,
I like the added contrast....but I would add a hair back on the LH side.....to not clip the flower branch.......glad you liked the collaboration!!!

good idea. thanks.

Cindy Mead
03-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I love the way the blossoms sweep across the frame Anita- lovely colors and a beautiful comp. I like your last version best, vwd!

Markus Jais
03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
A beautiful shot with great colors and a wonderful light. I like your repost the most as I think the vertical crop really works better here.

Markus

Vida van der Walt
03-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Beautiful image Anita. I hate to be the odd one out here but I prefer the original comp as the curve in the stem leading towards the flower makes this image for me. I do prefer the contrast in the second post.:)

Anita Bower
03-24-2010, 05:25 AM
it is wonderful to get different opinions! :)

Charles Wesley
03-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Anita,

Very nice orchid prtraits. Do like Roman and Ken's advice. Nothing wrong with using Topaz Detail IMO. I use Focal Blade all the time. DSLR's loose a little focus in the digital process. One needs to adjust contrast, sharpness, shadow & highlights on many images.

IMO the newer cameras need less tweaking but still some.

Mike Moats
03-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey Anita, very well composed and like the vertical better

Barbara Kile
03-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Agree with Vida. I really don't like seeing a straight stick coming out from the frame. The curve compliments the curves of the flowers. With orchids, the natural curve is...... well..... natural! So, my vote goes with the original post.:)