PDA

View Full Version : Roan Antelope

Ken Watkins
03-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Another of the few images I got during my visit to Kafue in 2005, this time from Busanga Plains where luckily there are far less Tsetse. To be entirely fair to Kafue it is the best place I have ever been for Roan, that seem to be less camera shy.

Taken on 27th September 2005, I am posting from my work machine in UK and this does not look very sharp here although it looks OK in PS.

EOS 1D MkII

100-400 at 400mm

F9, 1/250, ISO200

Alfred Forns
03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Ken Like the direct stare and surrounding habitat, just wish the others did not have their butt toward the camera and some separation. Excellent feel and like the surrounding vegetation a lot !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
It is tough to get a pleasing composition when there are more than one animals in the frame. The colours of the vegetation has come out well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
It is tough to get a pleasing composition when there are more than one animals in the frame. The colours of the vegetation has come out well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Todd Frost
03-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Nice portrait of these antelope in their environment. Colors and exposure look good. Echo Al's comments re: two on the left, all in all still a nice portrait. TFS
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
03-23-2010, 10:17 AM
this is one antelope I've yet to see with my own eyes...lovely shot Ken. I'm green.

sharpness looks fine - some noise in the BG and a shadow/highlights halo around the BG trees?

Steve Maxson
03-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Beautiful light, a nice pose, and I like the inclusion of the habitat, Ken. IMO, the image would be much stronger without the two antelope on the left. If this was mine, I would be tempted to try to remove them. :)

Ken Watkins
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
At first I did a version with the two smaller Roan removed, but it did not look right to me. Roan are generally seen in small groups so this is as nature intended.

Morkel no S/H used in processing just levels, so I have no idea where the halo comes from, I do not have the RAW file with me in UK so I cannot check.

Thanks to everybody for their comments.

Austin Thomas
03-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Looks good to me Ken. Multiple Roan in this image tells us not only about the animal itself ( RHS Roan) , but also their behaviour ( LHS Roan ) and the environment that they choose to live.

Works for me as an informative Natural History image.

tfs

Austin

Hendri Venter
03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Lovely scene and well captured Ken. I'm with Morkel - Would love to capture one myself.

Stu Bowie
03-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Good eye contact, and although facing in the opp direction, its always great to see the youngsters. I like the open plains here.

Jeff Cashdollar
03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Agree with Stuart, love the great plains and nice family-nature moment.