PDA

View Full Version : Cattails

Dave Leroy
03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Taken a few evenings ago. Looking out across a part of the Fraser River estuary across the Straight of Georgia toward Vanc. Island. 50D, 70/200 f/4 at 70mm, 1/250, f/22 and ISO100. I can't remember if I used a tripod or not, normally I do. I debated about removing the merged ct's on the main one.
Dave

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Hey Dave,
I was originally going to say to lighten the RH side a touch.....but I checked on my other monitor and it looks ok.....but it may give you a bit more seperation and clean up some of the color on the RH side.
As for the cat tails below the main one.....definite vote for eviction. While you did a very good job keeping them seperated from the main one......it just improves the comp IMO and strengthens the play from front to back. I think the position of the sun and cloud color also is placed well and balances the frame nicely!

Dave Mills
03-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi Dave, Not much more for me to add except I like that your looked at this scene somewhat unconventionally...

Robert Amoruso
03-23-2010, 09:56 AM
I agree, Roman captured my thoughts well on this one.

Paul Marcellini
03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Roman has some good points, I will add that i thought everything was out of focus at first. You focus on the largest and closest cattail, which works, except it is placed on the darker sky, hiding it. had you moved so it stood out more, the image would be more successful.

Dave Leroy
03-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes, I agree the merged plants needed to have gone. I have been looling at photo. mags. and see many photos with what I think are bits and pieces... so I left them in.

Tks I also like the idea of moving the main cattail into the light more, It was just hard not to get more merges. Next time.

Dave