PDA

View Full Version : harrier

Peter Coskun
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4456356854_e86b496000_o.jpg

I'm still trying to learn with the 7d, but today I thought I would take it out and put it to use. I was lucky enough to sight this northern harrier hunting along the berm of the canal. The first time I have seen one of these and photographed one. Cropped about 40%

Canon eos 7d
Canon 400mm f/5.6L @ f/7.1
1/1250th sec
iso 400
+2/3 EV
HH

Let me know what you think?

arash_hazeghi
03-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Congrats Peter on first harrier shot! First one is always sweet :) BTW this is a juvi.

Things that I like about this photo: full wing stretch, visible feet and nice BG. eye contact is a plus too.

Things that I don't like here: beak merged with body and not visible, so so light and lack of detail in plumage.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to next one.

Peter Coskun
03-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Congrats Peter on first harrier shot! First one is always sweet :) BTW this is a juvi.

Things that I like about this photo: full wing stretch, visible feet and nice BG. eye contact is a plus too.

Things that I don't like here: beak merged with body and not visible, so so light and lack of detail in plumage.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to next one.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it was a juvi. I do have other images with the bird in different poses with the beak showing. I should also have mentioned it was getting quite overcast making for less than ideal light.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-25-2010, 06:54 AM
I like the head-on pose, eye contact and BG. The bird looks a bit soft on my monitor. If it is not a heavy crop, I would sharpen more.

Peter Coskun
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I like the head-on pose, eye contact and BG. The bird looks a bit soft on my monitor. If it is not a heavy crop, I would sharpen more.

Thanks, it is about a 40% crop. I will probably run some more sharpening over it if I do repost. I have some other poses that I had liked as well.