PDA

View Full Version : Snow monkey portrait, Japan

Charles Glatzer
03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked!

Japan, 2010

1Ds Mark III, 24-70 @35mm
Manual, 1/400 @ f5.6, ISO 800
Post-production-LR3, CS4, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas

Ed Cordes
03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Very nice light and such a human like pose. The 35mm lens seem to make the arms extra long and the blurred fingers emphasize this look. Perhaps a crop to the top of the hands would place more emphasis on the wonderful face?

Harshad Barve
03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Excellent image Chas
TFS

Todd Frost
03-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Another fine portrait Chas. Don't mind the blurred hands and like the comp as is. That said cropping in on the face works well also but my guess is you have a number of those framed that way in camera. Techs are spot on as we have come to take as a given from you. TFS
Todd

Ken Watkins
03-23-2010, 03:14 AM
What a wonderful looking monkey, looks a bit bored, not surprising when you sit in cold water all day:)

I think this would have been even better with a litlle more DOF, but I would love to see them let alone have such a fine image.

Steve Kaluski
03-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Hi Chas

I hadn't realised that these guys had a pecking order and woe betide you if you are young and get it wrong!!! These warm/hot bathing pools obviously keep the cold at bay and give some restpite, however I wonder if they stay in too long they get rather wrinkled? LOL. The bathing ones in the BG adds a nice touch, but the face on this one is 'priceless'.

I agree with Ken on the DOF, however I guess looking at the 'techs' light wasn't your best buddy at that moment.

TFS
Steve

Alfred Forns
03-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I like the overall feel and composition, with the selected focal length would have taken advantage of more dof. Expression is priceless and one fine image !!! This has to be one of highest locations on the want to go list !!! Excellent !!

Charles Glatzer
03-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey ALL,

Thanks for the comments.

The story "Behind the Lens",

As Steve mentioned by looking at the tech info light was less than optimum. Bright overcast was what we wanted, dark and overcast was what we got. The slightly elevated angle and adjusted focus via DOF preview was used to make the most of the DOF at 5.6. The 1Ds is much better at ISO 800 than 1600. Tripod was difficult to use with other photog's varying for position at the pool. I opted for 1/200 @ f/8 on a few of the images, but those taken at 1/400 were visibly sharper. We have to make the best of what we have at our disposal. That said...I also would have desired more DOF.

I hope the text above is beneficial in explaining the on site workflow.

Warm Regards to all,

Chas

Sabyasachi Patra
03-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Chas,
A fine image. I like the pose and the mood. The conditions are not always favourable, so we have to use it the best possible manner. Definitely a higher dof, but less sharp image would make no sense. This image will look good when printed.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Hendri Venter
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Stunning image. Excellent sharpness, detail and colours.

Morkel Erasmus
03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
what an intense guy. super portrait Chas. love it - quite like the DOF

Austin Thomas
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Chas,

I think you have done a great job given the light conditions. The facial expression says it all.

tfs

Austin

Myer Bornstein
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
an other great snow monkey picture

Danny Laredo
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Fantastic image. Love the face. Perhaps a bit more dof to get those hands in focus as well.

Jeff Cashdollar
03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Nice one Chas and the workflow narrative give us the mindset given the conditions. Sharp is the key thing here and you nailed this one.