PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile cotton mouth

Don Hamilton Jr.
03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Found this dude sunning itself in the swamp!
Canon 7d
70-200mm 200mm
F8 1/200s
Elev metering -.33
Iso 400

Julie Brown
03-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Nice shot, Don. Did it see you? It looks pretty relaxed.

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Don,
Since this is where you found it....not sure how you could improve on it or if you were able to move around! Not sure I'd have the guts to try for a better angle myself! Wish for a better coil up....so the tail didn't lead out.....but as you can't reposition these things not much you could do about BG either! This shows the snake in it's natural environs pretty well.

Ken Childs
03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey Don, I think Roman covered it pretty well. You may have been able to get a better angle or moved it to a better location but even though most of their supposed aggression is really bluff, you shouldn't mess with these things unless you've been properly trained.

They certainly are beautiful snakes, especially when small. Where was this shot taken?

Don Hamilton Jr.
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Roman, you are spot on here, would have loved to had "It" coiled, however, i waited and waited no luck. This snake is very smart, almost like waiting for some prey, or some careless person to try and mess with it.
This was shot in the Gatorland Swamp. Juveniles are beautiful compared to the old dark black(stinky) florida cotton mouth that is indeed very agressive, and will chase you. As a native of the state of florida, i can verify that the older Cotton mouths, when provoked get very nasty:eek:....As a kid we did some very stupid/reckless things!!
Thks for the CC's, and i'll work on the next one to improve.

Markus Jais
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
I like this. The habitat shown here works very well for me. Great sharpness. I like the form of the snake.

Markus

thijs broekkamp
03-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Awesome colours. Sharpness is good. It would be nicer though if you were on the same level.

Mike Godwin
03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
What you don't know is that I have my arm about two feet from this little fellow as I'm fishing for my cell phone that I had dropped in the swamp trying to get him to turn around! :(

It's okay though, I upgraded my swamp water logged Instinct to the HTC Hero and I love it! :)

Nice shot Don with great color, light and sharpness, and I think you did well considering he was stretched out facing away originally. Good environmental shot, my only wish is that you had the full tail. I opted for a little different view, which I'll post in this forum. Was a fun little safari through the Cypress Swamp!