PDA

View Full Version : Looking for places to shoot in/around Denver late February 2011

Bob Ries
03-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Planing a trip to Denver Co late February 2011 or maybe some time in January to visit my brother and get out to shoot. I'm trying to time the trip out with the the eagle migration through Alton Il and stop there on the way back.

I'm looking for some places to shoot while in Colorado. I have been there a few times before with my film camera but would love to go back to some of the areas and shoot them with my digital camera.

I was planing to go to Mt. Evans as I've been there before and I loved it. But it looks like it is closed until late May. Are there any areas like Mt. Evans that you know of that will be open that time of year?

I'm planing to drive down to Colorado Springs to see the Garden of the Gods Park. Also going to look into a trip out to Rocky Mt. National Park.

I would love to get some shots of wildlife as well as landscapes. Most of what I would want to do is day trips, but if there was something really worth it I would consider a one night trip.

Also my brother and his family are not into photography so most of these trips I will be on my own, so I would love to meet up with anyone that lives/will be in the area to shoot.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bob

David Stephens
05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I just saw your question belatedly, but I guess there's plenty of time between now and February. :)

Cherry Creek State Park is good in February, with up to 16 eagles out on the lake ice and around in the trees on the good days. The white tail and mule deer bucks will still have their antlers and the conditions will vary a good bit from day to day. This is bout 45-minutes North of Colorado Springs, near the intersection of I-25 and I-225, where on clears day you can see Pike's Peak, Mount Evans and Long's Peak from one of several high spots. If it's a snowy day, then you'll have a good chance of getting close to hunting coyotes, etc.

RMNP will have limited access in February. The bird action at that time of the year is more limited than further South, like down in Southern New Mexico. For elk and that big stuff, you'll need a guide to take you back on snowmobiles. Most of the State parks on the plains East of the mountains are readily accessable.

Bob Ries
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks David.

I might break up the trip to Colorado and Alton Ill. May try and go to Colorado in October but still in the air about when to go out there.

Thanks again for the help! If you have any other ideas let me know.

Bob