Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/640"
F14
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
CS3

Another from my Cottonmouth series. The snake was in one hand and the camera was in the other. The whites should be white but they are slightly overdone. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. Cloned out some flash highlights from here and there and it looks like I missed a few. :o

thijs broekkamp
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Nice closeup of this beautiful snake. This was in the wild? And you hold it in your hand? It's a venomous one right? Pretty dangerous.

Markus Jais
03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Great shot. I like the extreme close-up. Great composition and very good light.
Your description of this shot sounds quite dangerous.

Markus

Mike Moats
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey Ken, very cool in your face shot. Like the nice sharp details and the wild look in it's eye makes the shot.

Julie Brown
03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Very cool shot, Ken. How did you keep the camera steady?

You like to live dangerously!:D

Charles Wesley
03-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Ken,

I agree with Mike that the eye makes this shot. When I see vertical pupils, it gets my attention. Is it cool in TN? Just wondering if the cottonmouths are less active.

Would not want to be bitten by any pit viper even if cottonmouths are less deadly.

You've got a steady hand IMO...

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Hey Ken,
I'm not even going to ask....snake in one hand and camera in other!!! Yikes!!! The eye has it!

Ken Childs
03-23-2010, 11:07 AM
This shot is from a previous year. Snakes are showing here now but I haven't seen any Cottonmouths yet.

I don't recommend that most people try to get a shot like this. I've had a lot of experience with poisonous snakes, especially rattlers and I know what I can get away with. If I can do it safely, I capture and relocate any poisonous snakes I find on our farm but I refuse to kill them which is what happens to most that are found in this area.

Markus Jais
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
This shot is from a previous year. Snakes are showing here now but I haven't seen any Cottonmouths yet.

I don't recommend that most people try to get a shot like this. I've had a lot of experience with poisonous snakes, especially rattlers and I know what I can get away with. If I can do it safely, I capture and relocate any poisonous snakes I find on our farm but I refuse to kill them which is what happens to most that are found in this area.

Hi Ken,
I think it's great that you save them and not just kill them as many others would do. I don't know about the Cottonmouth but many snakes all over the world are endangered.
Here in Europe, many snakes are still killed and also threatened with habitat destruction. This also affects other animals like the magnificent Short-toed Eagle who feeds mostly on snakes.

Markus

thijs broekkamp
03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Indeed very good that you save them. Most people found them dangerous dirty scary etc. Nothings is true. Glad to see that with you.

Vida van der Walt
03-24-2010, 02:02 AM
:eek: Oh my word! Holding a poisonous snake with one hand and a camera in the other! Very brave Ken. A super shot. Love that eye and the angle is spot on. Excellent detail as well.
I pray I never come across a snake whilst looking for insects to shoot.:)