PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Heron on the Prowl

Milt Berko
03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4NLShXXBD1g/S6anCi0ScXI/AAAAAAABmV4/b-5txGr44lc/s800/P3212686.JPG

I just purchased a Sigma 135-400mm lens and this was one of the first images I captured with it. C&C wanted and needed. I need time and practice to get used to it.
Olympus E-30
135-400mm lens
ISO 400
1/1250
f/8.0
AP
Center Weighted Metering
EV -0.30
400mm

David Stephens
03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Milt, there's a lot to like about this image. I like the composition and balance of the bird and the splash he made as he just jumped on something.

I don't know this bird, since we only have the great blues in my neck of the woods. The colors are vibrant, so much so that I wonder if the Saturation is pushed a little too high. The color of the water makes me think that the tannin level is very high there. If so, I'd try to get that level just right, or take a white point off the main water splash to make sure you've got it right. Like I say, I don't know this bird, so you may have the color balance exactly spot on.

I wouldn't change a thing otherwise. You've got great composition, good DOF, vibrant colors and action stopped perfectly. :cool:

Dave

Harold Davis
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
an image very similar to this won the photography contest in the sun-sentinel last year! i like it too. might sharpen the eye a little and tone down the whites on the back.

Milt Berko
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Milt, there's a lot to like about this image. I like the composition and balance of the bird and the splash he made as he just jumped on something.

I don't know this bird, since we only have the great blues in my neck of the woods. The colors are vibrant, so much so that I wonder if the Saturation is pushed a little too high. The color of the water makes me think that the tannin level is very high there. If so, I'd try to get that level just right, or take a white point off the main water splash to make sure you've got it right. Like I say, I don't know this bird, so you may have the color balance exactly spot on.

I wouldn't change a thing otherwise. You've got great composition, good DOF, vibrant colors and action stopped perfectly. :cool:

Dave

The Heron is in breeding plumage and the vibrancy of the beak color is spot on.

Ken Bryan
03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
For a "still" shot, it really implies action to me. Makes me want to see your next frame to find out what he caught!

Alfred Forns
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi Milt Just needed some softer light for getting those whites on top !! They do look as if they are over

Like the different color water and action !!