PDA

View Full Version : Ice Box Canyon, YNP

Andrew Merwin
03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
IMO, photographing Ice Box Canyon is hard & dangerous because the photographer has to climb down a very steep (10-12%+) grade slope that is mostly loose rock & dirt. The slope ends in a vertical drop to the canyon floor. When I clamored down to the edge of the canyon I always had a tree between me & the cliff edge. Frankly, I should have been roped in to be completely safe. But, I think the image is worth the risk.

I think this was shot early to mid morning on a cloudless sunny day.

C&C appreciated.

Andrew

Mrk 3, iso 400, 0ev, AV, f/9, 1/200, 28-135@65mm

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Andrew,
I've been know to be a bit reckless myself in these situations. I am getting older.....but not much wiser so my wife just ups the life insurance on me!

I was wondering if there was more stuff/unwanted elements below the fallen tree? The reason I ask is that the top of the forest has some mixed/dappled light and I would have preferred to have more room at the bottom.....as that is the way the flow of the image is going......just not sure it was possible considering your precarious perch. As presented, I would crop off some of the top and proportionally left....eliminating the brighter patches and focusing our attention more on the ice falls. Toning down the RH side one would be the final tweak that would bring this up another notch.
Be safe out there!

Dave Mills
03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi Andrew, I agree with Roman's comments and what I most wished for was more shown on the bottom with some taken off the top....

Andrew Merwin
03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
OK. Here is a shot with more at the bottom & less at the top. Except for adjustments in curves & sharpening, this is the camera image. Is this what you have in mind?

When I shot these images, I was standing with my right foot 6 inches from the edge of a 100 foot drop to the canyon floor. :eek:

Andrew

Robert Amoruso
03-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Andrew,

My perspective of your images is in agreement with Roman's. I feel the repost is stronger as it accentuates the flow Roman speaks of. The strong "Z" pattern in the cliffs is the center of interest in this image and more room was needed on the bottom to complete the feeling it invokes of looking down.

Dave Mills
03-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Andrew, I feel the repost is stronger!!

Roman Kurywczak
03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey Andrew,
Nice job with the repost! Definitely stronger for me!

Andrew Merwin
03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks. I agree. I think the small trees on the canyon floor emphasizes the depth of the canyon & the frozen water fall.

I appreciate your insights,

Andrew

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, repost is better. Those trees at the bottom give a resting place for the eyes. never seen the place. Looks like an awesome one.

Paul Marcellini
03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
One more to say the re-post is stronger. Worth the rick perhaps. =)

Bob Miller
03-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Like the repost!