PDA

View Full Version : Grey Squirrel

Jonathan Ashton
03-22-2010, 04:49 AM
This is the grey squirrel found in the USA it is very common in the UK, having displaced the red squirrel to a large extent. The log was placed short distance from my hide and I placed seeds and peanuts on a plant pot base inside the hollow log in the hope that I would be able to attract magpies and jays. The inevitable happened and I caught this little guy in the act!

Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.7
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ) 6.3
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 200
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF

The light was cloudy and occasionally bright, I have warmed up the colour temperature a little. All comments welcome.

Harshad Barve
03-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Beautiful image , lovely perch :D, nice eye contact and BG , You gotta love that tail
TFS

Steve Kaluski
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Cute capture Jonathan, they will eat you out of house & home.

Might try if you can, rotating this log 90 degrees CCW so the little aperture in the front allows you to view more of this little fellow. Might have gone to f/5.6 to increase your SS & or, upped your ISO too. Good defused BG.

Steve Canuel
03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Looks like he's guarding the castle keep. You couldn't have asked for him to take a better position. The light, color, and details are excellent.

Alfred Forns
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Looks like the little critter is in a studio :) Will be tough feeding birds there :)

Austin Thomas
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Very nice Jonathan,

Great BKGR and eye contact. Maybe a touch more DOF would have allowed the front side of the trunk to be more in focus.

tfs

Austin

Todd Frost
03-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Sweet image Jonathan. Good use of the perch, exposure color and detail look good. Steve makes a good observation of turning log towards hide. TFS
Todd

Sabyasachi Patra
03-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree that a narrow aperture would have brought the entire log into focus and the texture would have come out better. Ofcourse, that would have reduced the shutter speed. So increasing ISO would have helped with narrow aperture.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi