PDA

View Full Version : Reflections of reality

Ramesh Adkoli
03-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Here is an image of reflection of trees in a small pond taken at Ramanagara, about 40 kms from Bangalore. When I rotated the image thru 180 degrees, it looked surreal to me. Appreciate your views and comments.

D700, 24-70mm @35mm, CPL, tripod mounted, 1/60s, f7.1, ISO 200, early morning, full frame
CNX2, auto levels(!), cloned some dirt spots, rotated 180 degrees

regards,
ramesh

Dave Mills
03-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Ramesh, Your always thinking which I compliment you on.
In this particular image your center of interest is the large tree. There is alot of space to the right and IMO isn't adding much to the overall I cropped alot of that out and a bit from the left. I also added a bit to the top.I wanted to concentrate more on the tree.
After reposting I saw the image came out a bit funky but my main purpose was to show you the crop.

Roman Kurywczak
03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi Ramesh,
I too like the fact that you are loking at different perspectives......but this one doesn't work for me....even Dave's crop.....why?....maybe it's the PP'ing.....it does appear thaqt there is morning color in the sky......but overall compositionally.....I want either a colr or abject to grab me compositionally....neither of which do in this image....and lastly it isn't a strong enough abstract/surrel image....too much sharpness......I suggest you revisit this in PP'ing to give it some more tweaks......but let's see what others chime in.

Ramesh Adkoli
03-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Thanks Dave for your inputs and the crop. I wanted to retain the faintly visible earth below the water surface on top RHS. Hence left the crop as is.

regards,
ramesh

Ramesh Adkoli
03-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Roman, Thanks for your honest views. I really appreciate that. I guess PP will not help much in this case. The water was muddy brown and the colors in the image are pretty much as they were. I liked tonal gradation of the sky from bottom to top and also the view of the trees that looked/felt better in the reflection than the real ones. Hence the post. Probably it doesn't convey that aspect effectively. No issues; back to drawing board:)

Of course, i would like to hear what others feel about it too.

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Ramesh,

If you did not tell me this was a reflection I would have been fooled and I guess that is the problem as Roman mentioned. It does not make the viewer think what am I looking at.

Perhaps including the reflection and the thing causing the reflection might have worked better because if the reflection was that good, then seeing both makes the viewer think what's going on, what's the reflection and what is the tree.

Ramesh Adkoli
03-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Completely agree with you Robert. Including a ripple, for example, large enough to be noticed would have addressed that.

regards,
ramesh

Bob Miller
03-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Ramesh....I agree with Roman and Robert