PDA

View Full Version : White-bearded Manakin

Judd Patterson
03-21-2010, 04:53 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4438749457_5ffbdcc62b_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/juddpatterson/4438749457/)

Canon 7D, 500mm f/4 and 1.4x TC
1/8, f/8, ISO 800
Asa Wright Nature Center, Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)

I made a last minute decision to visit Trinidad in early March. Cheap flights from Miami can be fun. :) These guys are really a joy to watch as they display on their lek. I was told that they were not displaying due to the drought, but I was still optimistic. On my third extended visit to their lek, two males flew in and put on a brief show. The males each clear a little spot on the forest floor where they make many clicking sounds and then jump back and forth between nearby trees and the ground. I started with a clean horizontal composition, but I decided to try a vertical and I really like the OOF leaf to add a little context to the scene. What about you?

Doug Brown
03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice exposure and sharpness. Impressive considering the shutter speed of 1/8. I like the vertical composition and the inclusion of the leaf at the bottom, but I might darken it a little. As presented, my eye is drawn to it more than I would like. I would also crop the branch below the OOF leaf off the bottom of the frame.

Judd Patterson
03-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Doug! I really appreciate hearing other thoughts on the scene. I can certainly lighten the leaf some...I think that would work nicely. However, the fact that the perch goes down below the leaf is one of the things I really enjoy about this image. Of course I could be strange. :) More opinions are welcomed.

Fabs Forns
03-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I second Doug's opinion. I love OOF foliage in the foreground, but only if it doesn't compete. Darkening should be a breeze if you have Viveza.
Worth the trip :) Great looking little bird.

BTW, Shark Valley is much busier than AT. There's a single parent BCNH with 5 chicks (chunky ones) at the pond at the gate. And they are practicing fishing. Afternoon light. And RSH is bringing food to nest every day, of course, carefully planning to come where he's not expected.

Julie Kenward
03-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I'd also darken the leaf as it does really pull my eye. I bet the horizontal comp is very nice as well. I can't get over how much this bird reminds me of the black-capped chickadee. Lovely little glint in the eye. ;)