PDA

View Full Version : Macro nude

Michael Lloyd
03-21-2010, 11:03 AM
The wind is blowing and it's cold (the Texas version of cold) here today so it's not a good day to shoot outdoor macro photos. I'm a little bit stubborn and I decided to go outside and give it a try anyway. In a bold move, I took off my glove and shot an image of my nude left index finger at 3X :p

EOS 1D MKIV manual
MP-E65 at 3x with ring flash on manual and I believe 1/8th power. Both the camera and the finger were hand held :D

ISO 100
1/100s@ f16

It was hard to tell what was sensor dust and what was dirt and particles imbedded into the skin.

Desmond Chan
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder why one side looks darker than the other given you used a ring flash :confused: I think it could use a bit more sharpening :)

Michael Lloyd
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
My guess would be that I was outside and the sun was coming in from the left :confused: but that's just a guess. I'm not sure sharpening more is possible (or desirable). Seems like it would be kind of like trying to sharpen a marble :)

Julie Kenward
03-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Michael, I would never have guessed you had photographed your own finger...too funny! :D You seem to have more DOF on the left side but with that lens I think you did very well.

Michael Lloyd
03-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Michael, I would never have guessed you had photographed your own finger...too funny! :D You seem to have more DOF on the left side but with that lens I think you did very well.

:D considering that both the camera and the subject were "hand held" and the MP is manual focus (you don't really focus... you move the camera or subject) I think it's a miracle that I got anything even remotely resembling in focus. I think the variation on DOF is a result of my finger being turned slightly. The MP doesn't forgive anything.

This just shows what boredom will cause a person to do :o)