03-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/8"
F32
ISO: 400
LR & CS3

LED flashlight used to light the flower. BG is white foam core. Cloned out a shadow on the upper leaf and cloned over some bright spots on the leaves at about 25%.

Randy Stout
03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Ken:

I like the hi key presentation, layout of elements and composition, colors.

Wish the flower in particular was just a bit sharper.

Cheers

Randy

Julie Kenward
03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I also think the composition is the strong point here. Nicely angled through the frame it is beautiful to look at! I think you could take this one of two ways - either soften the leaves so they are as soft and delicate looking as the flower or sharpen the flower and do a small amount of burning to help them match the intensity of the leaves a bit more. Right now it looks like we're seeing part of one plant and part of another if that makes sense.

Charles Wesley
03-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Ken,

This is a very artistic interpretation. Used to photograph periwinkle in the lovely gardens in Colonial Williamsburg Virginia.

It's a most difficult flower to photograph. Seems the surfaces are highly reflective. The
detail I capture with a digital sensor or slide film seems to be unpleasant to my eye. You did better than me.

Just my opinion...

Ken Childs
03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
In this version I sharpened the flower a bit more and darkened it a bit.

Ken Childs
03-21-2010, 02:43 PM
In this one I lightened and desaturated the leaves and gave them a minor surface blur. Are either of these new edits an improvement or just different?

Desmond Chan
03-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I think there's nothing wrong with the original. It and the re-post gives two different feels and I think I prefer the original better as it fits the high key theme better, IMO.

Markus Jais
03-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Great idea very well executed. I like the first repost a lot better than the original and the 2nd repost.
In the first repost, the sharpness is much better and I also like the fact that it is a bit darker.

Markus

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Ken,
I was with Jules on this one.....nice job on the re-posts. If I had to pick.....it would be 1st repost.....but then I do generally prefer bolder colors.