PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Copyright Laws Pending

Mark Fuge
03-20-2010, 09:43 PM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=left>I received this from NANPA this week and want to share it with those who may not have access to NANPA or the legislations noted herein.

There is an effort being made to develop some new laws and procedures regarding copyright abuse on the government level. As photographers, you have a unique opportunity to bring your opinions about copyright directly to the government. NANPA is distributing the following information to give you an opportunity to speak up.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000066" bgColor=#000066 colSpan=3>http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #003399" bgColor=#003399>http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/spacer.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left>
The Obama Administration is asking to hear from YOU, about how intellectual property infringement affects YOUR livelihood. The Administration is also seeking advice on what the government could be doing to better protect the rights of artists and creators in our country. HERE'S A CHANCE FOR YOU TO BE HEARD!
BACKGROUND:
Last year President Obama appointed and the U.S. Senate confirmed Victoria Espinel to be the first U.S. Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator. Her job is "to help protect the creativity of the American public" by coordinating with all the federal agencies that fight the infringement of intellectual property, which includes creating and selling counterfeit goods; pirating video games, music, and books; and infringing upon the many other creative works that are produced by artists in this country.
As you know, the unauthorized copying, sale, and distribution of artists' intellectual property directly impact the ability of artists and creators to control the use of their own creativity, not to mention their ability to receive income they have earned from their labor. This impacts U.S. employment and the economy, and our ability to globally compete.
As required by an Act of Congress (The PRO-IP Act of 2008), Ms. Espinel and her White House team are preparing a Joint Strategic Plan that will include YOUR FEEDBACK on the costs and risks that intellectual property infringement has on the American public. Here's how to make yourself heard!
Send an email to Ms. Espinel and the Obama Administration: intellectualproperty@omb.eop.gov (intellectualproperty@omb.eop.gov)
Begin your letter with "The North American Nature Photography Association has informed me of this welcome invitation from the Obama Administration to share my thoughts on my rights as a creator."
Include in your email: your story, why intellectual property rights are important to you, how piracy and infringement affect you, and what the U.S. government can do to better protect the rights of creative Americans.
Also include in your email: your name, city, state, and what type of artist you are.
DO NOT include any personal or private information as all comments will be posted publicly on the White House website.
All comments must be submitted by Wednesday, March 24 by 5:00 p.m. EST. Read the entire call for comments online (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103211202258&s=2032&e=001WD9eusXYoTc5aIo0daC2ACZhcfRJKA4SRJuKQHKL0rLa9 8uUzD933R211Jv5CyEFddR0_Q0RovEPSr53ziliTqfgZcSF6jk mRV9PEFlQU8zlIfvg29i3bV6LUSDLy7zCJhNfw1DRb9UFRFMHi vWW0Hpuh88WR1codGRETqUndL38KvuGT1bGfQ==).

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000066" bgColor=#000066 colSpan=3>http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=left>
North American Nature Photography Association

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

WIlliam Maroldo
03-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I would like to know what is wrong with current copyright law? Change to what? With all due respect, do you honestly believe the Obama Administration/ Congress will improve the situation? regards~Bill

George Baldy
03-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Bill,

If you think the current copyright laws are good, let them know. Be a part of the process!

Chris Ober
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I think this has less to do with their concern over individual copyright enforcement and more to do with the RIAA, MPA, BSA, and (insert other acronyms here) trying to lobby for more draconian laws, DRM and control over movies, music, and software so the publishers and studios get more of what they think is their money instead of it going to the real artists. It's the big corporations asking for more laws and control and it's the big corporations that brought this up, not the individuals.

Deborah Hanson
03-22-2010, 11:55 PM
As an attorney that worked with intellectual property concerns, any simplification of the laws that help the individual maintain and protect what they have created is a necessity.
I have seen (on another forum) the blatant use of another's work as their own.
It's fairly easy to prove that a photograph is yours but to try to protect that image from misuse or to recover damages is not.
The laws aren't there just for the corporate entity, but if they were - here is a chance to try to make them into something that might help you.
Deb