PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Green Turtle FRACT

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I guess that I am learning to think like a true FRACTer. When I pushed the button on this image, I knew that I was creating a poor image that might make a good FRACT :) And it looks as if I was correct.

I used my "gator" preset which was an adaptation of Impressions I. Then I tweaked it a bit and added some Linear Burns to the brightest whites.

Don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

ps: Impressions I seems to work great with reptiles with large scales :)

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Above is the (rather ugly) original capture that was made in bright sun at about 2pm. It is from the Midway trip.

Kora Baker
03-20-2010, 06:19 PM
The ability to change a pretty ordinary image into something interesting is what I love about Fractalius too, Artie. But I don't think your original is ordinary at all! I like the coloring and the preset you chose. I do think though that the back turtle needs to be darkened a bit so that it doesn't blend in the foremost turtle. Also, I know the eye on the original is not well defined but a bit of added contrast and sharpening might help. At present the back turtle eye draws the attention:) Kora

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks Kora. I am thinking that what you are thinking is the "back turtle" is actually the left flipper that belongs to the turtle whose head we see in the image :) :confused: :)

Kora Baker
03-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh dear Artie, I must need new glasses:D I originally thought it was a flipper but then saw an 'eye' so changed my mind.:D:D
I find that the 'flipper' is more defined in the original. Must say that it's just wonderful to see this beautiful (to me) creature:) Kora

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 06:59 PM
:) If only he had washed the side of the top of his shell this would have all been avoided. It is the salt/white sand there that is causing the problem. :)

I am posting a really loverly turtle image above for you. I am just hoping that I can avoid getting busted by the chief moderator here...:confused: We were photographing a loverly sunset and when we turned around this beautiful creature was right there posing for us. I got on the ground with the 70-200 <smile>

denise ippolito
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Artie, I just love the whole turtle w/ the beautiful blue water BG.
Kora has a point about the flipper merging a bit into the head. I'm thinking some D&B would give it some separation. Very creative work and I like that you are thinking OOTB!!:);)

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Artie, I just love the whole turtle w/ the beautiful blue water BG.
Kora has a point about the flipper merging a bit into the head. I'm thinking some D&B would give it some separation. Very creative work and I like that you are thinking OOTB!!

Ah, D&B = Dodge and Burn. One of my ulterior motives is to learn about dodging and burning. Another is to expand my creativity. And lots more :)

Christopher Miller
03-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Artie, Nice save. I like the high-key frac effect. Agree that more separation between the head and flipper would be good. I would also remove the dark line to the right of the turtle.

Kora Baker
03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Oh that's absolutely beautiful, Artie! Thanks so much for taking a great risk in posting this:):):) Was just watching a doco on the green turtle. Only two out of thousand baby turtles survive to adulthood apparently. So that makes this wonderful photo all the more special! Kora

Harold Davis
03-21-2010, 08:04 AM
another vote for a little more separation between the head and flipper in the fract'd version. i do love the whole turtle image with the blue water bg. looks like you had a "whale" of a trip!! no pun intended.:)

Arthur Morris
03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks all. I lost the black line, lightened the flipper, darkened the face, and tried to darken the near side of the shell (but it is hard to darken white!) I had already done a linear burn on the lighter part of the shell.... I am not sure if this is any better or if I like it better than the original post....:) :confused: :)

Arthur Morris
03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
ps: The repost may be better....;)

Paul Lagasi
03-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Any turtle image is a good image...like the original, but repost is my first choice...well done, like the colors, effect..TFS

Jackie Schuknecht
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Repost looks good Artie:)

Christopher Miller
03-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Repost looks good to me too. Nice work!

Arthur Morris
03-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks all for the VOC!

denise ippolito
03-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Your repost looks good :) not much difference.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Hmmm is that on our list (Vote of Confidence):)