PDA

View Full Version : Wild Geraniums

Charles Wesley
03-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Found these little flowers along the Blue Ridge Parkway back in the 1990's. Really relaxed area of Virginia in these mountains. Very few people around back then. Spent all my vacation time there to forget about work issues. Had to use flash to get this image even though I did not want to. Too many trees in the area.

Nikon N90s, Nikkor 105 mm AF f/2.8 macro, SB 25 flash and Bogen tripod.

Epson Perfection 4990 Photo Scanner
PS/CS4
Neat Image
Focal Blade

Desmond Chan
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Had to use flash to get this image even though I did not want to...[snip]...
SB 25 flash and Bogen tripod.

But you got your tripod with you ;)

It looks a bit dark on my monitor for some reason. I think it would be better if the light is more diffused.

Julie Kenward
03-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Beautiful little geraniums, Charlie. I like the original comp you have here except that the front frond is so OOF. For that reason, I think I'd cut out a lot of the bottom if this were mine to minimize that being so prominent in the frame. I also think the stems look a bit blue (possibly from the flash) so I opened up the midtones and pulled down the blue channel a bit in levels.

Charles Wesley
03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Jules,

Thanks for the help. I did not like the OOF blade either. Just wish your repost had more color in the pedals. Looks washed out on my desktop monitor and MacBook Pro. The slide was more saturated.

Think your cropping has improved the image...

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Charles,
The colors in the OP are definitely closer to the real deal.....here I wish you had brought a BG with you....althought the black does have some merit also. I do like Jules crop suggestion....makes the flowers the stars.

Charles Wesley
03-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Roman,

Wish I was posing, gardening and bringing several BG's with me back then...