PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Buffalo

Andrew Merwin
03-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Here is my first image post. I would appreciate suggestions on PP & camera skills to improve this image.

Thanks,
Andrew

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll112/accipiter100/sparringbuffalo.jpg
Mark III, ISO 400, f/14, 1/250, 100-400@180, 0 EV, HH, Calm, sunny mid-day w/ cloudless sky & temp in the low 40s, YNP in March just before the vernal equinox.

Sarah Jessup
03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Andrew,
Nice action captured. The light is working against you here, as the side lighting puts the heads in shadow.
I don't know if it would've been possible to get lower, but the background is a bit distracting. another approach to the background would've been to use a bigger aperture.

Sid Garige
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Andrew,

Looks like you had to deal with a very hard light conditions. Considering that you did pretty well.
Composition is fine and I would crop a bit from the right for symmetry.
Very nice exposure on snow. Back ground works fine for me.

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Andrew & welcome.

If you are able to shoot early morning or towards the later part of the day the light will be with you. Mid day the light is strong, harsh and NOT your friend.;)

Firstly I too might have opened up your stop, say f/9 or even f/6.3 this would also help your shutter speed and avoid/reduce any camera shake. In addition, I would suggest purchasing a good Bean bag, this will help steady your camera and make things more sturdy, especially when using the 500mm from a vehicle. Without knowing the whole story it's difficult to suggest how to tackle the BG, but would agree on getting a lower POV, if possible and always ensuring you are safe! it's always nice to get some interaction so well done. You may find with snow conditions shooting at +1 (ish), does help all round but you always need to check your histogram. Andrew there are also things you can do when processing, but guess you want to move steadily:D

Look forward to seeing more and go & explore the Forum;)

TFS
Steve

Todd Frost
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Good advice given above, agree with crop from rhs. As you were 100-400 this could have been accomplished in camera. Light angle was not that bad but quality was the problem (bright mid-day). Shooting wildlife with larger apertures gives you more ss but also blurs the bg helping to isolate your subject better from the bg. Keep them coming and welcome. TFS
Todd

David Fletcher
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Agree with the above other than the +1 for snow... It's not that it's not nec', just that in this case there is a range of mid tones and looking at your histogram you have it nailed perfectly. +1 and +1.5 great when the scene is predominantly white. Not the case here. Go with the crop. Re the bg, your aperture choice means the bg is sharp enough to compete for attention. Personally am not a fan of Gaussian Blur as far too identifiable as Gb, but at 0.3 can leave the bg looking slightly de-focussed which is what you want. As Steve said, dropping the aperture is better. (always better to get right in camera as reduces time and effort to fix after).

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2010, 03:48 PM
+1 and +1.5 great when the scene is predominantly white.

Good point David, sometimes you forget these little points and just assume or take for granted.

Andrew I do think you are NOW getting what you have been looking for a long time :)

Andrew Merwin
03-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions. They are very helpful to me & very much appreciated. Your are right Steve, I am ... "NOW getting what <I> have been looking for ..."

The reason for the 0 EV is that my meter was focused on the buffalo which reduced the s/s properly exposing the snow. I agree with the crop suggestion and aperture setting. Blurring the bg would make it a better image. That said, I do like see wildlife in their surroundings.

I shot a # of images of these buffalo while I was eating lunch. Take a bite, pick up the camera while chewing & shoot an image, put the camera down & take another bite & do this until lunch is gone. When I visit YNP I do nothing but shoot images all day beginning @ dawn & ending when the light is gone. I take a 2 burner stove, food, water, & everything else I need to remain in the park continuously. During the off season restaurants are a long way away & during the season the restaurants are too slow because of all the tourons (tourist/moron).

Thanks again for the wonderful comments. This is a great forum.

Andrew

Harshad Barve
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
BIg welcome to wildlife and great advise above
TFS

Alfred Forns
03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Big Warm Welcome Andrew !! Was this from Lamar Valley? Not all that much snow up there this year, sort of looks like it !!

Great suggestions and fully agree. You did well with the exposure and PS work !! Exposure wise would go to manual and + 1 1/2 (one and a third is good) Any of the auto modes will require different compensation as you move the lens around !!!! Looking forward to the next one !!

Andrew Merwin
03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes. I was in the Lamar Valley. Thanks for the manual mode suggestion.

Andrew

Sabyasachi Patra
03-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Andrew,
Welcome to BPN!

Enjoyed the new terminology tourons (Tourist+Morons) :D

I agree with the suggestions given. A slight crop from the right should be fine.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

peter delaney
03-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Welcome Andrew to the wildlife forum ...I might be slightly bias but this is probably the best forum around!! If you are new to this genre you will find lots of valuable advice and constructive criticism which if you take on board will improve your photography .

You have had received all the correct advice regarding this image ,
my 2c worth is to reiterate what Dave Fletcher said that is probably the best advice you can get .. do as much editing in your viewfinder as much as possible .. be aware of any thing distracting in FG BKG ..this will save you so much time in PP ..
Get to know your subjects behaviour this will help you anticipate what your subject will do next...
Als suggestion of manual mode is a very good one , use as much as possible when the situation allows

but none of the above matter if you do not takes Steves advice ..your camera and lens must be stable , a good tripod, beanbag , car bracket will be the best investment ever ...

welcome and enjoy the forum , look forward to more images

peter

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2010, 04:19 AM
welcome Andrew! I second Peter's assertion that this is one of the best forums around in which to learn and grow :)

I love bison shots, and agree with many of the suggestions made above, especially the aperture selection and the crop from the RHS.

Ken Watkins
03-23-2010, 03:36 AM
Welcome, you have certainly come to the right place, I can think of no more suggestions, just get out there and get some more. Make sure you get a good bean-bag and fill it with something heavy!

Andrew Merwin
03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to sharing images & learning from your suggestions to improve my images.

Andrew