PDA

View Full Version : Moth, ID please.

Charissa
03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2nktlpf.jpg
Canon MPE, 50D, ISO 100, f16, ss 250. Flash used, hand held, as is all my macro shots.:)
Found this small moth in my garden, have quite a few of them flying around, but some with different markings. Could anyone ID this for me, if possible, and tips and comments very welcome.:)

Julie Kenward
03-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I wish I could help with the I.D. but my book only covers North America. :( I can help you narrow it down a bit, though. First off, I believe you have a butterfly here and not a moth because the antenna are clubbed at the end. Moths don't USUALLY have clubbed antenna - they have "feathered" "threadlike". Skippers have antenna that bend at the ends, almost in a 90 degree angle.

As for the image, I really think you did an excellent job on this. You do lose a bit of focus at the very top of the wings but the head, body and front area are all nicely detailed and the pose and angle are also nice. I think you could stand maybe a sliver more on the right side so the antenna aren't quite so close to the frame's edge. I'd also clone out the one piece of leaf that is jutting away from the main area (between the two antenna) to give it a cleaner look. Very nice image overall.

Ken Childs
03-21-2010, 07:47 AM
I can't help with your butterfly ID but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding out what species it is. Google South African Butterflies and I'm sure one of the sites will help you with the ID.

The detail on the head and body it outstanding!

Randy Stout
03-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Charissa:

Lovely soft colors, looks almost like fur, can see why you thought it was a moth.

Julie and Ken hit the techs, and I agree about a bit more room, it almost looks like his antenna are bending to stay in the frame.

cheers

Randy

Mike Moats
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey Charissa, pretty cool subject, surpised only a few comments, like the position and nice details.

Vida van der Walt
03-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Lovely shot Charissa. It could be a Bush Bronze or a Mocker Bronze but it is hard to say with certainty as some of the Bronzes look very similar.:)

Charissa
03-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I seem to crop a bit tight, most of the time, will pin a note to my ear next time.:-))