PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly camber display

Randy Stout
03-20-2010, 01:46 PM
another butterfly from the Meijer's Gardens, Grand Rapids, MI>

I like the subtle pastel colors and the interesting display of camber in this guys wings. Generally I think of butterflies as having flat wing surfaces, but you can really see the curve in this guys.

D700 Sigma 180 f.3.5 @ f/18 1/200s Flash fill with two SB800s, one on camera, one on Wimberley AM-4 macro mount to left and level with lens axis. Handheld (no support allowed)

I thought about removing the green of leaf showing above the head and to of wings, appreciate your thoughts on that area, as well as the image overall

Thanks!

Randy

Charissa
03-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Like the comp, and angle of the shot, Randy. I am in two minds about the green area above the head, it do distract a bit, and the BF would stand out better with a clear black BG, but it might not look natural if u do take it out, and the antennae tips will look like it is floating, without the black to lead the eye to it. I would give it a try if it where mine, and see how it comes out.
The body of the BF is a bit blown out, would love to see more detail there. Nice colors and sharpness. Like the shot.

Julie Kenward
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I agree with Charissa on the antenna not being as distinct with the green gone above the head. I don't really think it's all that distracting because my mind makes the connection that it goes with the leaf below. I do think you could stand a touch of CW rotation to even out the top of the wings. I do believe this is my favorite of your butterfly images so far, Randy. It's really detailed and focused perfectly and the pose is one we rarely if ever see, making it all the more special.

Stuart Frohm
03-21-2010, 06:22 AM
I'd keep the green in the background.
I agree the unusual pose — showing the camber — is delightful and effective. Thanks very much for posting it.
I'd welcome a pairing of this photo with another which would show the other side of the butterfly's wings.

Ken Childs
03-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Your flash setup did a great job of lighting the entire bug with no obvious shadows. I'd definitely keep the green.

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Randy,
Another vote for keeping the green for reasons mentioned above. I'd go for a bit of a tone down on the underside.....but I know this species......it is pretty white/bright under there!