PDA

View Full Version : Northern Cardinal

Bill Leaman
01-02-2008, 11:41 PM
This Cardinal image was captured at a set-up next to a feeder. Too much clutter?

MarkIIN, 600mm (non IS), 1/125 at F7.1, ISO 200

Bill Leaman

Bob Steventon
01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi,

Wish we had cardinals out here!!

I'm not sure I'd say clutter. The colour of the background both repeats the colour of the bird but also disguises it. The background does distract from the bird which looks very sharp to me.

Bob

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow, that is some color explosion!!!

This would be a killer background had you had more separation. if you are handy in PS, maybe try and blur it a little bit to avoid distracting from the beautiful bird.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Welcome, Bill! This must have been one of the few days of the year when the plumage of the cardinal works as perfect camouflage. :) I like the alert pose but find the bird a bit too centered.

Blake Shadle
01-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Welcome, Bill! This is a nice image, your subject is sharp and well exposed. I agree with some of the previous comments. Taking the bird out of center and perhaps working a little PhotoShop magic to blur out your background would add a lot to this image. Keep 'em coming!

Gayle Clement
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
The background works well for me, It complements the cardinal but doesn't overwhelm it. I agree with Alex that the bird is a bit too centered.

Steve Foss
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Too much clutter? Yes.

But, too much clutter? No.

Too much clutter if it's a portrait of a bird. Not too much clutter if it's a portrait of a bird and an environment, IMO. If it's too much clutter to suit you, then a lasso of the bird in PS, inverting it and then applying gaussian blur to taste will separate the cardinal from the BG.

Glenn Bartley
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I like it! The colors and patterns are very nice. I would prefer if the foreground leaves weren't so prominent though.