PDA

View Full Version : Dawn light elephant

jameshaskins
03-20-2010, 01:14 PM
This was taken in Okavango Delta, Botswana. Dawn sun providing back-lighting on ele.

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 450D
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/320Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F6.3
Metering Modes
Evaluative metering
Exposure Compensation
-2/3
ISO Speed

Steve Kaluski
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi James, where abouts in the Okavango Delta was this taken?

The colour does convey a nice warm feeling to the image. Perhaps a little more selective sharpening could be applied to the eye area & trunk to make it a bit more defined? I would also suggest cropping from the middle of the trunk to the right side, as the lhs is so in shade it really doesn't add anything to the overall image IMHO.

TFS
Steve

jameshaskins
03-20-2010, 01:54 PM
...taken in Moremi. Yes agreed that there is a lot of shadow on the lhs but I feel its part of the shot (I have not done any cropping at all?) perhaps will take off a wee bit from the lhs.
Could you explain how to do "selective" sharpening on a specific area? I find if i over sharpen it starts to llok weird. problem is i left my camera in jpeg mode and forgot to select RAW for this shot so......

Steve Kaluski
03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
OK James the easiest way, (well the way I might do it, but others here may have a better option?):)

- Duplicate the layer
- Sharpen the duplicated layer to the point that you are happy with, (just watch you don't add any artefacts to the image)
- Now add a mask layer to the duplicated layer, (fill black)
- With the paint brush paint the area back in with a WHITE brush
- In the 'Opacity' layer box you may wish to 'tone done slightly, move the slide decreasing the %? Optional.
- Once you are happy, Save, Flatten, Save As.
- Crop & repost, hope this helps ;)

Steve

Steve

jameshaskins
03-20-2010, 04:53 PM
here it is cropped and sharpened as much as possible

Steve Kaluski
03-20-2010, 05:10 PM
James, cropping is a very personal thing, this was how i sort of envisaged it;)

Hope you don't mind, also not sure what the line is running down the rhs about a fifth of the way in?

jameshaskins
03-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Okay thanks, thats better. I cant see a line though? Any tips as to how i can get a tutorial of photoshop so i can learn more of these sharpening techniques and such. Appreciate the help.

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Hi James

On my repost I quickly (badly?) cloned it out, however I have tried to indicate it for you below on your version. Re your questions, I would suggest you look at the section Digital workflow there are some very good threads there, but hopefully the more knowledgeable members here will be able to suggest some threads to visit first. ;) Hope this helps, must dash.

Steve

Todd Frost
03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I like the abstract quality to this. A few tweaks will make it even better. Steve has given you good crop advice. Lots of great information on this site as has been mentioned. Welcome and keep them coming. TFS
Todd

Alfred Forns
03-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Great thread !!!!

You have a good eye for making an image, do like the tighter version, places the eye in one of the intercepting thirds ... sure makes it strong !!! Excellent mood !!

btw might want to take a look at the Educational Resources on the main page, lots of useful information !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
I like the almost abstract feel of the image. I think less of black on the left would have been great. It would have been really good if the left hand side were completely covered with shurbs, tree etc. Not all of these kinds of images will turn out as keepers. However, the ones that qualify as keepers will really turnt out to be good. I have been experimenting on similar lines, however, not always I am in the right position to create an interesting image. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

jameshaskins
03-22-2010, 12:39 AM
...thanks for all the info.....that line is a blade of grass - thats all it can be