PDA

View Full Version : Coot

Rich Steel
03-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Hi

Based on my motto of never ignore the common species, here is a photo from yesterday of a coot starting its pursuit of another bird.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/coot201012.jpg

Taken with 1DmkIV with 500mm lens at ISO 400 F8 -0.3EV and 1/1250s.

Cheers

Rich

Scott Frye
03-20-2010, 04:22 AM
very nice and difficult shot of this coot running on water -- I really like the detail in the blacks --

Jonathan Ashton
03-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Love the timing Rich - super detail in the feet and plumage, the trailing foot is excellent. I wonder is it possible to get just a tad of detail in the bill - what do you think?

Stu Bowie
03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Classic take off posture from a busy character Rich. Excellent exposure on the plumage, sharp, and I like the overall detail. Well captured.

Ryan Schain
03-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Excellent exposure and sharpness. I love the feet on these guys!

Sid Garige
03-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Excellent job. Great details and perfect exposure. Very well done.

arash_hazeghi
03-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Nice and sharp Rich, very well done.

Rich Steel
03-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Many thanks for the comments. I must admit I am really enjoying the mkIV's capabilities :)

Jon, the coots beak does not really have any detail to bring out as they tend to be very smooth and white.

Cheers

Rich

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Rich, I have been trying and failing miserably in getting this shot for a while. Hard to time it. They do this all the time but getting all elements right is mighty tough IMO. Awesome job here. loved the foot. Without the feet, coot-running-on-water shot just does not look that good.

Lower angle would be better. But I find that when I go lower, its harder to keep track of all the coots....which might be ready to run etc.

Jonathan Ashton
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Many thanks for the comments. I must admit I am really enjoying the mkIV's capabilities :)

Jon, the coots beak does not really have any detail to bring out as they tend to be very smooth and white.

Cheers

Rich

Rich, there is a little detail - I only realised this after I saw a shot posted by Arthur Morris a couple of years ago, after seeing his I played with this image I took.;)

Rich Steel
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Jon

I think we are comparing oranges with apples here. Looking at the image you posted the light was less intense, with relatively static birds at close range and the light appears to be coming in from the right. Given the light is coming in at an angle then you would expect some relief to be shown formed by trailing shadows over any texture on the beak. My photo was taken in bright sun with full front lighting (look at position of catchlight) with a rapidly moving bird. I certainly would not expect any more detail to be shown in the beak under those circumstances.

Cheers

Rich

Jonathan Ashton
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Rich, I agree with most of what you say, I don't want to make a big deal of this and they indeed are rather different images but I bet if you go to the RAW file you might just get a tad of detail - I don't mean much but just a little and I think this would make a great shot just that little bit better:)