PDA

View Full Version : Pine Marten

Stephen Stephen
03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I created this image when I visited Algonquin Park with Dan Cadieux on Monday. It was our first time seeing a Pine Marten a relative of Fishers, Mink, Otters and Weasels. Two of these agile tree climbers have been frequently the feeders located at the back of the visitors centre throughout the winter.

Over the course of the day we observed two different Pine Martens feed on black sunflowers and suet. Normally Pine Martens are omnivorous and, depending on the season, they will feed on berries, birds and their eggs, mice and voles and in particular red squirrels.

Line of site to the feeders is only permitted from the viewing deck located well above them so this made low angle images impossible. Although the image is very busy with branches this was the only time when one of these animals was relatively out in the open.

This one was licking it's lips after finishing off a nice piece of suet that had fallen to the ground.

Canon EOS 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm mounted on BushHawk. 1/1250 seconds, F - 6.30, ISO - 640

One distracting OOF branch, that obscured some of the grass, cloned out. I would have preferred to have the other large OOF vertical branch removed too but I didn't think that I could do a clean job of it.

All in all I still do like the HA and the open mouth.

Ken Watkins
03-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Given the difficult circumstances this is a mighty fine effort!

Steve Kaluski
03-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Echo Kens comments Stephen, well done :)

Todd Frost
03-20-2010, 06:59 AM
As stated, well done considering what you were up against. Nice just to get a look at these guys. TFS
Todd

Harshad Barve
03-20-2010, 08:58 AM
excellent image IMHO ,
TFS

Austin Thomas
03-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Well done Stephen,

I have tried and failed to do these so I know how hard they can be to photograph.

tfs

Austin

Stephen Stephen
03-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you Ken, Steve, Todd, Harshad and Austin for commenting. I was amazed at how cat-like they wer in their movements.

Stu Bowie
03-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I like the look back pose, and the visible tongue adds a lot. Well captured.

Daniel Cadieux
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Well done considering the conditions we had! I'd selectively darken the marten's right eye (our left) to make it match the other. We were lucky it scampered down to the ground for a more natural look:)

Stephen Stephen
03-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Thank you Stuart and Dan. Dan I never noticed the right eye but you're absolutely right. I'll go back and correct this one for my files.