PDA

View Full Version : Reddish Egret Courting Dance

James Boland
03-19-2010, 06:21 PM
These two landed on a sand bar directly in front of us. They started their dance by approaching each other with their bills raised straight up in the air. They then lowered their heads and began to circle each other. It appeared as though they were trying to wrap their necks around each other. They would then separate and begin again. After dancing in circles a couple of times, they then went down the sand bar dancing!

Canon EOS 7D
Lens (mm): 500
ISO: 400
Aperture: 7.1
Shutter: 1/2000
Exp. Comp.: 0.0
Program: Manual

I used a quick mask to cover green tree reflections at the top of the photo. I also used NIK Color Efex graduated neutral density filter to darken the top and the tonal effects filter as well.

Paul Lagasi
03-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Jim...nice courtship capture, nice colors, crop, might need a bit of clockwise rotation on the shoreline...thanks for showing

Arthur Morris
03-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice moment captured and sharp. The top might be a bit too dark for me. Who is 'us"?

James Boland
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
This was on a tour with Mr. Shadle. We had the chest waders on and in the water.This was part of Al, Fabs, and James Surf and Turf workshop a couple of weeks ago. I can drop the graduated neutral density filter to lighten up the top.

Bruce Enns
03-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Great action/interaction captured here Jim. It is well exposed, sharp, and there is some eye contact with both birds. Well done.

I would lighten the water at the top of the frame and trim off the blurred portion of beach at the bottom (while straightening the horizon, if it doesn't make the birds look too off balance).

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Bruce

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 04:59 PM
This was on a tour with Mr. Shadle. We had the chest waders on and in the water. This was part of Al, Fabs, and James Surf and Turf workshop a couple of weeks ago. I can drop the graduated neutral density filter to lighten up the top.

Thanks James. I knew that :) Tour leaders always appreciate a mention. :) :) If it fits with your personal ethics and you have a few hours to kill, you can do some serious beach clean-up!

James Boland
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I took Paul's advice and cropped out the OOF beach. That helped a lot.

Arthur Morris
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I took Paul's advice and cropped out the OOF beach. That helped a lot.

Do share :)