03-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/8"
F22
ISO: 400
LR & CS3

These Henbit flowers are right side up. :)

Julie Kenward
03-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Okay, Ken...same lighting set up as the last one? I have to know! The black is so rich and the colors are just popping off the page. What did you do to get it to look like this both in camera and in pp?

Ken Childs
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Okay, Ken...same lighting set up as the last one? I have to know! The black is so rich and the colors are just popping off the page. What did you do to get it to look like this both in camera and in pp?
I guess I should have mentioned that I did use the same lighting for this one. Outside shade, LED flashlight and black foam core for the BG. I'm really liking the results I'm getting using the flashlight.

I needed to do very little in pp. I upped the blacks in Lightroom to get the BG looking right. In PS all it took was a relatively normal contrast boost to get the colors to pop.

Desmond Chan
03-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Hmmm...Ken, on my monitor this one looks a bit too contrast. Otherwise, the colors really pop. Sharpness and details look good !

Stuart Frohm
03-20-2010, 06:37 AM
May I ask how powerful the flashlight is, and whether you think it matters whether the flashlight is LED?
I have used a small flashlight as a focusing aid but never as part of the illumination of the subject.
Thanks very much for any information as well as for posting your beautiful images and the information already given.

Ken Childs
03-20-2010, 08:00 AM
May I ask how powerful the flashlight is, and whether you think it matters whether the flashlight is LED?
I have used a small flashlight as a focusing aid but never as part of the illumination of the subject.
Thanks very much for any information as well as for posting your beautiful images and the information already given.

Hi Stuart,

I haven't tried it with any other flashlight but the light from an LED is definitely different than the light from a normal bulb. Here's a link to a coupon for the one I'm using. It's small and best of all, it's free if you happen to have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby! If you don't feel like dealing with this coupon, a 2-pack is on sale right now for $3 and there are plenty of other cheap LED options available.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/1-automotive/images/flash_c.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi Ken,
Nice use of the flashlight again. If you try a non led light....such as a Maglight.....it gives a "warmer" tint to the image......I find the whiter light of the led works better in most cases....but something to consider since most of us have a maglight lying around! You may want to go back just a smidge on the contrast.....but this really pops off the screen.

Don Lacy
03-20-2010, 12:50 PM
HI Ken, The purples really pop of the black BG and nice use of artificial light.

Jerry van Dijk
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Ken, thanks for putting these ones the right side up especially for me :)! I like your composition here, with all flowers pointing to the outside and the diagonal of the stem. They are really nice when you enlarge them like this, aren't they! I like your use of the light, it makes the flowers almost glow and gives a wonderful purple. I do agree with the comments on the "harshness".