PDA

View Full Version : Leopard and Prey

Austin Thomas
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Here is a young Leopard a few moments after he had caught this rabbit.

I had been photographing him stationary for a while and then he moved through the undergrowth out of sight. When I next caught up with him he was "playing" with this rabbit, before carrying it away for breakfast.

Taken very early one morning in Kenya.

Canon 1dMK3, 300mm f2.8. 1/2000, ISO 800.

C&C welcome.

Austin

Sabyasachi Patra
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Great to see a leopard with prey. I like the lower angle. Space in front is fine. Like the raised tail too. The sharpening on the leopard seems to be on the higher side. Or may be it is too late in the night for me. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Austin, I am very envious as you have these 'beasts' with prey rather than portrait, well done! I do feel Sabyasachi has raised some valid points here too Austin.;)

Although i am viewing on a laptop, it might need a tad of brightness only on the Leopard WDYT? Still thing it's a good image.:)

TFS
Steve

Harshad Barve
03-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Excellent capture Austin , nice HA & TP ( Tail position :D ) ,
TFS

Ed Cordes
03-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Very nice capture - by you and the leopard! I like it as is except for a bit of brightening.

Stephen Stephen
03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Austin I'd be very pleased to have created this image. A great leopard with prey as a bonus.

Ken Watkins
03-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Great image, I do not think it is oversharpened I think it is contrast.
The lighting is what the lighting was, early morning and dull, but if thats what it was like then show it like it was.
Great low POV, raised tail adds greatly,proves it is moving.

Morkel Erasmus
03-20-2010, 04:37 AM
nice catch for you both Austin...I agree with raising the brightness on the leopard. stands out nicely from the BG

Austin Thomas
03-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Steve, ref taking images "with prey". I always strive to present something additional in my images. If I look at my picture and all I can say is, It is a Cheetah or It is a Leopard, then I would be looking for something better. An additional element somewhere in the image. AND, that is how I justify to my wife that I need to go back every year as well....

The problem with always looking for something extra is that I run out of images, hence I only post about one image every 7 to 10 days. If I posted daily then there would be lots of portraits or successive frames of the same image.

Cheers

Austin

Todd Frost
03-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Well done. Techs look good on my side. Nice job getting the leopard in the open with prey. TFS
Todd

Marc Mol
03-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Superb Leopard with prey image Austin, the subject really pops in the dull lighting.
TFS

Stu Bowie
03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Austin, the colours, sharpness and exposure on the leopard look good from here, and he pops from the BG nicely. His catch adds to the image, and glad you didnt cut off the leopard's tail. ;)