PDA

View Full Version : White Sands Evening

George DeCamp
02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
http://decamp.net/bpn/bosque_0478.jpg

White Sands New Mexico, December 2007

One more to press my luck here! :)

This was taken the evening before the last image. Bob Ettinger and I (and a Top Gun F15 fighter pilot friend Tom Hill) had hiked well into the dunes and the light was pretty well gone. Actually we were being paged by a ranger with a bullhorn to return to the truck because they were closing...oops!

Tried a couple images in the fading light on the way back to the truck and kinda liked this one. Oh and Tom got us right back to the truck with a compass in almost total darkness...I guess he knows his stuff. The Ranger was there waiting for us. :cool:

Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70/f2.8 @ 28mm, Manual Focus, ISO 200, f22, 2.5s, Gitzo 3530LSV, RRS BH55 Ball Head

Anita Rakestraw
02-26-2008, 04:31 AM
George, this is just breathtakingly beautiful, no suggestions from me! Love the shades of blue, the touch of beige/yellow, the shadows and texture. Almost feel like I were there (& I would sure love to see this for myself!) There may be a very small dust spot about a half inch left of center, or maybe it's a sand feature?

Mike Dale
02-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I love the textured look about it. Another place that I have to visit someday!

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2008, 07:18 AM
George,

A great image. I like the contrast slopes of the hills coming from left FG and right BG. The glow inthe sky is fantastic and the light on the sand gorgeous. The side-light really sets off the patterns inthe sand.

Are those tire tracks that I see on the left? If so, you could clone them out.

Bret Edge
02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Very cool patterns in the sand, George. I might crop a little bit off the sky as there isn't much going on up there to keep my interest. Aside from that, this is a cool photo.

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
George,

I understand why Bret recommends a crop and I thought of doing so but I like it as is in this case. Perhaps a personal bias as blue is my favorite color, but I think the transition to the deeper blue sky at top balances well with the transition to the deeper blue in the sand at the bottom.

Paul Marcellini
02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
The gold/blue combination throughout is great. I especially like it in the foreground detail. I'm partial to Bret's crop idea because I think it focuses the eye more on the foreground.