PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Wall & Lone Pine

D. Robert Franz
03-19-2010, 07:45 AM
This is an image from Arches N.P. when I was there in Jan. I like how this pine tree was living on the ledge of the rugged canyon wall. The canyon is Courthouse Wash.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 24-105mm
Focal length: 58mm

Dave Mills
03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Robert, Great color and texture within the image.I also like the fact the tree is sitting on a diagonal ledge. Since the center of interest is the tree I thought the original comp minimalized it too much. I cropped it much tighter to emphasize the lone tree more. I also brought up the green a small bit.
There are other crops but this one example...

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Dave's crop is exactly the crop I envisioned when I open the thread. The diagonal cliff and that tree are the strongest elements and deserve all the attention.

Good job see the possibilities here. Many would pass this by.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
The crop really makes this image, nice shot Robert

Roman Kurywczak
03-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey Dale,
one of my favorite areas......I will offer another opinion and possible direction......while Dave's crop is where I would go approximately top and bottom.......I would leave the LH side......more pano....why? I like the curve and lighter layer there........I also darkened the area behind the tree and lightened the tree.......A bit heavy, but I wanted to make the tree stand out more from the BG rocks. Hope this just gives you another option to explore. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I immediately thought pano crop when I opened this. Roman's repost is the winner IMO here. well seen!

Markus Jais
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I like all 3 versions although I think Roman's version is the best. Great light and colors. The lone tree makes it special.

Markus

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Beautiful shot. Lovely textures and nice use of the tree in the composition.