PDA

View Full Version : Green Crowned Brilliant

Wyatt Olson
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Here is another Costa Rican Bird, a Green Crowned Brilliant Hummingbird. This shot was taken hand held with a 300mm lens.

Canon Rebel XT
300mm f/4L IS USM
1/200s @ f/4
ISO 400; Handheld
canon 430ex flash at -1 with better beamer

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii70/wyattolsonphoto/_MG_4429.jpg

Many thanks in advance for all you advice

Wyatt Olson

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi Wyatt,

It seems f/4 is rather wide for getting most of the bird in focus. It did a nice job on the perch though.
Flash helped you with sharpness at a lower s/s than recommended for your focal length.

This reminds me of my late friend AlexC, God bless his soul, who would say "I know what the bird looks like so I don't need to see it" :) I think it works here, just wish you had a little more light in the tail. Very nice background, btw.

Blake Shadle
01-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Looks like you were put in a tough situation! Opening up to get the fastest shutter speed works against sometimes, and I feel that this is the case in this image. Your subject looks excellent, and you've got him against a very complimentary background. The shallow DOF makes areas of the image a little more noticeable and distracting (the areas of moss/lichens to the left of your little hummer). My eye also keeps getting drawn to the tip of his beak. Keep up the good work ;)

Renee DeMartin
01-03-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the composition....nice diagonal branch with bird in third of frame. The little branch on main branch might be distracting, but kind of mimics the bird so I don't really mind it.
Have to agree with better DOF, however.

Glenn Bartley
01-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Really nice shot. I kind of wish he was facing the other way though.

Keep in mind its only one post per 24 hours.