PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Forest of Glen Arbor

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Out in the Sleeping Bear National park they have these ghost forest as the shifting dunes kill the trees. I will be hiking in to these places as the snow has left a month early.

canon mkIII
1/15sec@f/16
iso 100
canon 16-35 lens
tripod
nik silver effects

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Dennis,

One of your best yet IMO. I really like the composition as it leads the eye from the FG tree left to the MG tree right and then the BG trees center. Good use of B&W and very dramatic clouds. Good range of tones but I felt more detail in the trees was needed.

Shadow/Highlight adjustment in PS - though I think I am getting a weird halo near the FG tree - mask that out if needed.

Well done.

Dave Mills
03-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Dennis, Good eye on this.The trees guide you through the image to a dark foreboding sky.Good choice for a B/W which gives the image a mood. Roberts repost lightened the image and gave it a bit more pop.
Very well handled!!

Bob Miller
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Dennis...very nice image! Works extremely well in B&W ! Like the repost and the original!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks everybody for your help as I have a few more images to post of these forest and will need help and ideas so I can revisit and get better images. Thanks again

Ed Cordes
03-19-2010, 07:21 PM
I like the graphic quality to the image. The re post is more dramatic, but the halo is distracting. Perhaps adjusting the radius slider in Shadow/Highlight will reduce it?

Roman Kurywczak
03-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey Curly,
I like the concept but the halo is noticeable in both......so just rework it and watch for that. I am debating whether I would have wanted the top of the RH tree....although you do lead us nicely through the scene as mentioned.......just a possible option to keep in mind in the field. Very interesting place and looking forward to more images from there!