03-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/80"
F22
ISO: 400
LR & CS3

Spring may not officially start until Saturday but there are lots of cool little flowers popping up all over the place! BG for this is black foam core and lighting is natural outside shade and a small LED flashlight shining on the flower .

Anita Bower
03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
i love the lighting here--the blue pops and the stems and bud are nicely outlined. excellent image of this little flower. :)

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey Ken,
Lighting and BG is exquisite! I would have preferred the main flower to be a bit closer to the bud.....but still a very dramatic image of this tiny flower.

Markus Jais
03-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Wonderful lighting and composition. I like the square crop and the black BG is also great in this shot.

Markus

Stuart Frohm
03-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Exquisite! I love the lighting of the rim of the bud. Thanks very much for posting it and for the details of your technique.

Randy Stout
03-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Ken:

Striking image, lovely lighting. I have used a LED light to do "light painting" on flowers, and find it an elegant and flexible tool.

When I first looked at the image, I felt the placement of the masses wasn't quite right. I think that Roman is right, if the flower was closer to the bud, it would be a stronger composition. Might be fun to try again, and use a tiny black wire to pull the flower in closer to the bud. Easy to clone out the wire after the fact.

Hope to see more of these beauties.

Randy

Ken Childs
03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Might be fun to try again, and use a tiny black wire to pull the flower in closer to the bud. Easy to clone out the wire after the fact.
That's a great idea!

I just did a quick edit on the shot I already had. Is this more like what you and Roman had in mind?

Randy Stout
03-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Ken:

I can't speak for Roman, but to my eye, this composition looks sig. better, less awkward.

Cheers

Randy

Anita Bower
03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
i think it looks better, even tho it didn't bother me. i might rotate the entire image a bit ccw. :)

Julie Kenward
03-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Good catch, Anita. It would look good with the bottom stem area coming straight up. Lovely work, Ken! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the lighting as I was so curious as to how you did this. It really makes for a rich and lush image. Really nice work and creativity on this one!

Roman Kurywczak
03-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh yeah!!!!! Very nice fix and sweet job on the lighting!