PDA

View Full Version : Mallard drake chasing away another. 'Tis the season.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10818887-lg.jpg

A lone Mallard drake approached a Mallard pair. Typically, when that happens, there is some chasing around and then they take off. Anticipating that, I set my camera to ai servo thinking I'll be able to nail a take-off shot. Instead, the two drakes started fighting. They was a lot of biting and wing flapping. Got nice shots of the fight and then this finish. Lucky to not have a droplet in front of the eye.

40D. 400 f5.6 at f/6.3. iso 400. 1/1600s. exp. comp 0.

All C&C welcome.

Keith Carver
03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice light on the head, Kaustubh and I like the motion in this image, droplets, thrashing and all. Looks like the focus was on the yellow bill and eye - amazing in the presence of all that water. Would wish to see a little more of the other mallard on the right. Gorgeous BG!

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Keith, thx. Here's one which has the other drake....with a scared look. I didn't like the wing position...or rather the lack of it :-) But let us see what others feel.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10818925-lg.jpg

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Looks like the focus was on the yellow bill and eye - amazing in the presence of all that water. Would wish to see a little more of the other mallard on the right.

Center sensor only....trying to follow the action and shooting in small bursts. But I am sure it was not on the bird's eye at that point in time. But the action was so fast, the camera probably did not jump.

Randy Stout
03-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Kaustubh:

The action,colors, water, wonderful in OP.
I don't think the bit of the other drake to the left tells enough of the story to make its inclusion useful. Maybe as part of a series, so people could figure it out.

I would be tempted to eliminate the duck on the left, and let the great action stand on its own.

Cheers

Randy

Martin Wallis
03-18-2010, 05:49 PM
agree with Randy, I like the light on the head and sharpness in this action shot.
Cheers

Fabs Forns
03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Beautiful action, light and colors. Agree on removing the frontal partial drake. Rather than telling a story, it's a misplaced wing :)

Axel Hildebrandt
03-18-2010, 06:08 PM
That is a tricky one, the wing gives an idea but maybe the droplets in front of the 'chaser' tell the story even without wing. Angle, light and action look very good, BTW.

Steve Canuel
03-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Agree with others on teh the wing. The angle, colors, and splashing water are enough to tell the story.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I see what you are saying about the wing in the OP. I learn something in every image I post.

Stu Bowie
03-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Kaustubh, I only see coots chasing each other, never Mallards. The sprayed water tells the story, and well done for capturing the action.

Markus Jais
03-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Great angle, wonderful light and colors. Awesome action with fantastic water drops.
In the 1st shot, I might remove the wing but in the 2nd, I think the 2nd bird is ok and adds to the story.

Markus