PDA

View Full Version : Snowy stab

Keith Carver
03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Although this is in the really-bad HA category, I liked the quick jab movement in this Ding Darling mangrove pool, and the light on the wings.

7D, 250 mm (70-200 with 1.4TC), ISO 500, -2 EC below evaluative: f/5.6, 1/2000 sec.

C&C appreciated.

Connie Mier
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I really like it, the head splash with full view of the eye is great and how the wings are splayed above the head is a very nice composition. I would say some of the shadows on the wings are a bit distracting but I love that bg.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-18-2010, 04:43 PM
This is simply spectacular. So unqiue. terrific action shot. no issues with head angle. dramatic light. excellent excellent exposure in difficult situation. Only wish is a little more room below...but all those things are easier-said-than-done in action shots. Being able to see his head through that V in the splash is insane.

Looks like the Snowy is getting some lessons from his Reddish cousin.

Scott Frye
03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Very nice action shot -- I like the fcircle of water around the snowies head

Fabs Forns
03-18-2010, 05:53 PM
The only two things that bother me are the mixed light on the wings and not seeing more of the splash on the bottom. H/A is what needs to be given what the bird is doing.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Great moment captured. The mixed light has been mentioned and maybe more room for the 'virtual legs' at the bottom.

Kurtis Diffenbaugh
03-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Keith, awesome shot! I know I'm going against most of the people on here but I like the shadows on the wings. For me it helps to add a sense of mood and environment. The only things I would have liked is a less room on the top and more on the bottom, not always the easiest task when doing an action shot.

Steve Canuel
03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
I like the visible eye and the water circle around the head. Light on the wings doesn't look bad to me. Agree with a little more room on the bottom. Might also try to do a little NR on the transition zone in the water between light and dark.

Roger Clark
03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I too like the shadow pattern on the wings. I think this image works so well because the eye is so clearly seen even though the HA is not ideal. I also think a little more on the bottom would have been great, but understand that in the heat of action that is difficult to get it right. Given that I would crop a little off the top. The exposure is perfect and the action nicely frozen and good depth-of-field. The light/shadow on the wings tells me this is a real-world situation, and that makes it great in my view.

Roger

A_Maddah
03-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Hi Keith
nice shot and superb timing.I think a little more room on the bottom.I agree with Axel about light
TFS

Asad

Keith Carver
03-19-2010, 06:23 AM
The repost is cropped at top, but alas more of the bottom eluded me at the moment of capture. I like the dappled uneven light on the wings. It seems much more interesting than uniform whites would have been. Steve, I did some NR in the penumbra region near the bottom.

Thanks to all for C&C.

Jim Fenton
03-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I like the mixed light as it adds depth and reality IMHO.

Don't care that I can't see all of the feet but I do agree with Fabs that more of the bottom splash would add to it.