PDA

View Full Version : Grey-winged Francolin

Ignacio Yufera
03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
These birds are usually pretty skulking, but when engaged in calling they seem to throw safety to the wind.
Shot in the Lesotho highlands, near Sani Pass.

Comp orthodoxy might dictate that the OOF bird is distracting; would love to have your opinions.

Canon 1D MkIII, Canon 800 f/5.6 + 1.4x, 1/320 @ f/14, ISO 250

Jonathan Ashton
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Beautiful colours and detail, personally I would clone the oof bird, I don't think it adds to the image, in fact my eye keeps wandering over there but there is not much to be seen:)

Don Lacy
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Wonderful light and detail on the calling bird but I do not think the OOF bird adds anything to the image.

Don Thompson
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I think I would like the OOF bird if it were not cut in half. As is, I don't.

Beautiful light and details as noted.

Stu Bowie
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Ignacio, super calling pose, and with his neck thrown back, sure looks like he's enjoying it. Sharp, with good detail. A little tight on the left, the hidden tip of the tail is fine, but I chase the OOF francolin.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Great pose and details. Looks like a singing instructor with a keen student. Orientation of bird w.r.t to the sensor is very good. Typically, hard to get that and open beak both in the same image.

If you want to have the OOF bird there, then IMO it needs to be there fully. But that would also mean a square crop. The more I look at it, I think I will like that comp.

Morkel Erasmus
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
lovely pose, DOF and colours here...an area close(ish) to my home I still need to visit. I would have loved the OOF francolin to be entirely in the frame.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Sharpness, pose, angle, and BG look very good. If you have it, I would go for a wider crop that includes the entire OOF bird or remove it entirely.