PDA

View Full Version : Himalayan Blue Poppy

Ed Vatza
03-18-2010, 05:51 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/1003_LongwoodGardenBluePoppies_024-.jpg

Image made yesterday at Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square, PA). Looking for a different point of view.

Canon 5D Mark II; Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens; tripod-mounted.

(0.6 sec @ f/22; ISO 400; +1/3 EV)

Anita Bower
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
i really like this angle of view.

Ken Childs
03-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Ed, the POV, comp, colors and clarity are all excellent! I can't make up my mind about that hairy stem, though. The rest of the flower is so beautiful that the ugly hairs on that stem don't seem to belong...maybe. :)

Julie Kenward
03-18-2010, 07:35 AM
I tried to comment on this on Facebook last night but it was being funky. :confused: I like the image - especially the stamen poking through the petals. The stem is interesting and all but it does seem harsh for the softness of the petals. Still, I don't NOT like it and it is a different view than a normal floral image so kudos on that!

I think if I were to make one change it would be to clean up the bottom of the frame where the two petals show the inside - the orange pollen there is so OOF I don't think it really adds to the image.

BEAUTIFUL blue by the way. Must have been a real treat to photograph this!

Charles Wesley
03-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Ed,

Really like the perspective and saturated colors. Not sure like Ken on the stem thorns. I would consider cloned out the orange area below the stamens.

Very powerful use of color...

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Ed,
Unique perspective for sure! I didn't think I'd like the stem.....but feel it adds to the overall presentation. I agree about the orangish blob.....but easy fix. Very cool and different presentation.

Ed Vatza
03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey everybody, I thank you all for your feedback and comments. This is certainly a very unusual perspective and I presented it here for that reason. I figured the sheer presence of the stem, let alone the sharp little hair, would cause some problems for some folks and I guess I was right. The hairs are an integral part of the stem of the Himalayan Blue Poppy so if I am going to show the stem at all, I am going to include the hairs. Cloning them out would just be wrong in my estimation. The same is not true of the little "smudge" on the inside of the flower and that could certainly be cloned but you know what? It doesn't really bother me at all. That's probably why I left it.

If you are interested in other views of the blue poppy, visit my blog at my website below. There are three other images as well as this one posted there.

Charles Wesley
03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Ed,

Just looked at your blog. It's very impressive. Saw all the other Himalayan Blue Poppy photos. I think they are most excellent. Just wondering why you posted this one.

Think you should share the others. Just my opinion...

Ed Vatza
03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Ed,

Just looked at your blog. It's very impressive. Saw all the other Himalayan Blue Poppy photos. I think they are most excellent. Just wondering why you posted this one.

Think you should share the others. Just my opinion...

Fair question.

I picked this particular image to share for several reasons.

1) Sometimes I selected the image I want feedback on rather than what I consider to be the "best" image. Of the four blue poppy images on my blog, I would probably rank this particular one as #3.

2) Related to the above, I felt this was a somewhat unique perspective. I like it but wanted to hear more from other folks. That said, I had already received some very positive feedback on this image from some folks I respect in the industry. But I know that folks here are much more likely to rip an image apart. That's a good thing.

BTW, thanks for the compliment on my blog.

Ed

Charles Wesley
03-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Ed,

My intent is never to rip an image apart. I never comment on an image I do not like. Only point out some minute pointers to help on the photos I like. It's only my opinion.

I agree with you that our forum can be highly critical. We tend to forget that the general public purchases our photos based on different criterior than us. As an example, I have sold an image recently by a stock agency four times that was ripped in another forum. My 13" by 19" print looks really good on my wall.

You're an excellent photographer IMO . Go figure...

Ed Vatza
03-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Appreciate the compliment, Charles. I think I'm pretty good too! :D

My use of the term "rip apart" was a dysphemism (had to look that word up; opposite of euphemism). I was referring to exactly the sentiment that you expressed. This is probably the most critical set of forums I've encountered. And I view that as a good thing. But at the same time, while I consider and really think about all comments, I have enough confidence in my work that I won't run out and change something just because somebody here or elsewhere said to. But I will seriously consider all suggestions.

However good I am, I owe a lot to what I have learned here!

Vida van der Walt
03-24-2010, 03:21 AM
This is the most beautiful blue flower I've ever seen. I'm always fascinated by blue flowers as they are so scarce. Beautiful image Ed. I also love the perspective with the peek a boo stamens. Great texture captured.:)