PDA

View Full Version : dunescape with storm clouds,b&w #4

peter delaney
03-18-2010, 03:30 AM
nikon d3 with 50 mm lens iso 200 f8 1/000 handheld.

wanted to try and create a series of " moody" dunescapes this is no #4

have used a red filter to darken skies, used a strong contrast in curves, used Romans LCE...

Kobus Tollig
03-18-2010, 04:40 AM
I like the effect. Really nice well done. Just to much noise imo.

Morkel Erasmus
03-18-2010, 05:04 AM
agree - striking comp and mood but I would do some noise reduction in the skies...although it should be a bit grainy for this kind of feel :)

Dave Mills
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Peter, I like your studies of this very interesting subject. I like the dunes area of the image that has beautiful light and texture. For some reason I find the sky a bit distracting. Possibly due to it's areas of blotchiness which seem to compete with the major dunes area. As stated there is alot of noise in the sky which might be affecting my view of it also....

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey Peter,
Agree with above comments......while I like grain in certain circumstances in B&W's....it is a bit much. Definitely re-visit this one and tweak it again as the comp is strong.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Agree with Roman and Dave. I really like your image and really looking forward to the Sleeping Bear Dunes

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2010, 07:22 AM
have used a red filter to darken skies, used a strong contrast in curves, used Romans LCE...

Not to take anything away from Roman, but are you referring to the LCE techniques I have been recommending here?

I like the composition with that nice flowing s-shaped dune in the FG. I feel that the image overall is too dark obscuring detail. Repost one with Shadow/Highlight correction.

peter delaney
03-21-2010, 04:53 AM
thanks for the feedback on image as always appreciated,

my humblest apologies Robert as I near my 43rd birthday my memory loss has increased ...it was your technique I was referring too.

I think being Irish and very moody ,my poor images often reflect my mood and this image suffered because of it:D
agree with Dave and Roman and Kobus on dark skies and noise

Robert , thanks for taking time out to work on image , Like your version with the S/H correction ... bug thanks and apologies once again...

thanks to you all your input is valued , listened too.. and acted upon ..

peter