PDA

View Full Version : vole

Joel Arrington
02-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Canon 40D, manual, 1/160@ f/8, ISO 400, 70-200 + 2x ext, flash

Steve Canuel
02-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi Joel,
I like the texture and color of the leaves and also the detail in the fur. The eyes look a little funky though. Seems like with all the light from the flash there should be a bit of catchlight inat least the big eye.
Steve

Joel Arrington
02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
It had a bad case of red-eye on the right, which I fixed. But I don't now how to manufacture a higlight. Any ideas?

Steve Canuel
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
It had a bad case of red-eye on the right, which I fixed. But I don't now how to manufacture a higlight. Any ideas?

I'm sure there's a better way but I'd just clone a white spot from somewhere else in the pic on to the eye. Never tried it myself but it seems like that would work. Here's a quick version taking a sample from the white bit in front of the vole on the lower right.

Joel Arrington
02-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Tha looks a lot better, but extra catchlights I often remove are angular. Wish I knew how to make them.

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Joel,

Go to 100% magnification on the eye and us the dodge tool. Work at the pixel level and don't make it a circle of oval as that looks fake IMO. The head looks OOF. Did you sharpen it enough.

D. Robert Franz
02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Good idea to eleminate the red eye but we really needed a catchlight in the voles eye and to see the nose. Good detail but it seems to be a bit backfocused..

Joel Arrington
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Select the Dodge tool or the Burn tool . (I selected the Dodge tool)
Choose a brush tip and set brush options in the options bar. (took what was already set)
In the options bar, select one of the following:
Midtones to change the middle range of grays
Shadows to change the dark areas
Highlights to change the light areas (failed to select any)
Specify the exposure for the Dodge tool or the Burn tool. (didn't see where to do that)
(Photoshop) Click the airbrush button to use the brush as an airbrush. Alternatively, select the Airbrush option in the Brushes palette. (Didn't get to that)
Drag over the part of the image you want to lighten or darken. (I dragged over the now pitch-black eye on a copy of my PSD file and got no result. No mark, nothing)

Robert, I only had about 10 minutes to try this today. Will look at it again when I have time, probably tomorrow.)
Thanks much for help.\-J